Problems with VPN on Windows 10 ARM Apple M1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MateuszM3, May 5, 2021.

1. MateuszM3

MateuszM3 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have switched from a MacBook Pro with Intel to MacBook Pro with M1 and start to regret that change...
    On Windows 10 ARM there is no chance to install Endpoint Check Point VPN nor FortiClient. Both of them doesn't work.
    But what is worse - I have set shared network on Parallels and while connect to VPN on MacOS, on the quest I could not connect to SAP system, because the address is not reached...
    Has anybody faced this problem? How to fix this problem?

Alexandre9 likes this.
  2. PedroS7

PedroS7 Junior Member

3. MateuszM3

MateuszM3 Bit poster

Unfortunately this doesn't work with certificate I got from the company.
    When I am connected to the VPN on the host MacOS I got in netstat -nr
    destination gateway
    10.10.10.10. 175.168.188.1

But on the guest Windows 10 ARM I could not ping 175.168.188.1, and do not have those destination/gateway combonation.
    What should I do to pass connection VPN gateway to Windows 10 and on Windows 10 access VPN network?

4. BrentonB1

BrentonB1 Bit poster

Hey @MateuszM3 did you manage to get this working in the end? How did you get it working if you did?

5. MateuszM3

MateuszM3 Bit poster

Hi @BrentonB1
    Unfortunately MacBook with M1 is useless for using with Windows. There is no point in having Pararells if you would like to use VPN, because on Windows for ARM I could not find any VPN that is working correctly.
    Even when you start VPN on MacOS connections from Endpoint and FortiClient are not passed to Windows.
    But when you manage to get it working please inform me, so maybe in some time I will not need to use a Windows laptop

lee17 likes this.
  6. BrentonB1

BrentonB1 Bit poster

Hi @MateuszM3
    Sadly I had the same experience as you - I tried the X86 version of the Endpoint Checkpoint VPN as Windows can emulate X86 for the ARM processor, I just couldn't open any of the dialogs to setup anything. That's possibly an emulation issue, I'm not sure really?
    So I'm also using remote desktop to connect to a windows machine which is local, ok at the moment but not a solution if I travel.
    I'll make sure to come back to this thread if I find a solution.

7. diegop3

diegop3 Bit poster

8. yihhowL

yihhowL Bit poster

I am facing the same issue, It seem like the Window on Parrales failed to install the Virtual Adapter.

9. WillH7

WillH7 Junior Member

Did you try the Microsoft Store version of the CheckPoint Capsule VPN? This worked for me on the ARM version before my company switched to Palo Alto. I'm also able to use the Global Protect VPN client from Palo Alto in the Windows Store.

Get Check Point Capsule VPN - Microsoft Store

10. RobH17

RobH17 Bit poster

How do you get the Check Point Capsule to download from the store? Whenever I click 'Get' it doesn't do anything. Somehow I got to the point that it also offers "Install on my devices" above the Get button, but when I use this it doesn't list the new Windows 11 ARM VM that I have now on my new M1 MacBook Air, it only shows a couple of old Intel based Windows 10 VMs that I no longer have.

11. RobertoV7

RobertoV7 Bit poster

Hi guys,

I had the same issue. But I found a solution in my case it worked and I hope it can help you.

- Go Microsoft Store
    - Find "Forticlient"
    - Click to Get it
    - Follow the steps to set up the VPN using Settings > Network > Add VPN
    - VPN Provider > FortiClient

MikaelO1 likes this.
  12. himanshub2

himanshub2 Bit poster

Hi, I am facing the same issue. I am using openVPN connect on my mac but if I try to access SAP logon on windows 11 it doesn't work. it works fine on mac.
    I already tried FortiClient and Check Point Capsule VPN and none of them is working for me. Please help.

Alexandre9 likes this.
  13. Alexandre9

Alexandre9 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Did you manage to resolve this error?
    No VPN is working, not FortClient, not Cisco Any Connect, not WatchGuard, not CheckPoint.
    I couldn't identify if the problem is with the VPN provider, Windows, Macbook, or Parallels.

14. MikaelO1

MikaelO1 Bit poster

Could you give some more detailed steps on how you managed to get Forticlient working?

15. JanW11

JanW11 Bit poster

16. AlexeyA1

AlexeyA1 Bit poster

17. fella5

fella5 Bit poster

Well I have a Macbook M1 and running Parallels. I run a multiple Win11 VM that I have enrolled to Intune that pushes Global Protect (Palo Alto). This works fine form me and no issues at all. My issue was with a personal ExpressVPN that I would also like to use. The installer would fail, but ExpressVPN had a manual setup that worked fine for me. Hopefully one day this gets fixed so I can actually use an installer for my personal VPN.

18. AsmusE

AsmusE Bit poster

I have a Macbook M1 running Parallels with Windows 11 as well. Does anybody have an idea on how to connect to a Zyxel VPN? The Zyxel clients don't work unfortunately under the ARM windows...

19. PaulC52

PaulC52 Bit poster

For me the difference is that on my Intel MacBook Pro I could open Anyconnect on the Mac and the Parallels VM could see and use it.
    The latter just does not happen on the M1 with Win11 ARM.
    The solution was to install Anyconnect-win-arm64-4.10.04065-core-vpn-predeploy-k9 directly in the Win11 ARM and run it from there.
    Note: I can concurrently run the Anyconnect Mac version, so I effectively get the same result as on the Intel Mac - just not quite so eloquent.
    I'm not sure if the root cause lies in the Win11 ARM or in the M1 Parallels.

20. NilsL1

NilsL1 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I understand the frustration with this issue, I've experienced it myself. I've been working on a workaround for using Systancia and other TAP-based VPNs on Apple M2/M1 and Windows ARM, specifically for those using Parallels. My solution leverages OpenVPN GUI and some custom setup.

Briefly, my solution involves the installation of Systancia components and OpenVPN GUI on Windows. It appears that running OpenVPN GUI in the background while executing the Systancia VPN client is critical, otherwise, the created adapter is already in use or "reserved". I've put together a detailed guide to walk you through this process and would love to share it with you.

https://hl-consulting.ch/maos/howto...ap-based-vpns-on-apple-m2-m1-and-windows-arm/

I hope this can help those of you dealing with the same issue. It may not be the most straightforward solution, but it allowed me to use my MacOS machine without needing different hardware.

Please note that this solution worked for me, and might not work for everyone. Please proceed at your own risk and always backup your system before making significant changes.

I look forward to hearing your feedback and whether this solution works for you!