Proper OS classification for asplinux112 when creating a virtual machine

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by mikelley, Sep 5, 2007.

1. mikelley

mikelley Junior Member

I am attempting to create a virtual machine running asplinux112 of an .iso I created but am unsure of the proper OS version to classify it as.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

Why do you care? Can't you name it yourself?

3. mikelley

mikelley Junior Member

I am attempting to install a virtual machine running the ASPLinux 11.2 version listed on Parallels site. On the second screen of the OS installation wizard for parallels Desktop 3.0 for Macs I find two pull down menus; the top asks the os type, whereas the bottom asks the OS version. I select Linux on the top menu (make) and attempted "Other Linux' as the bottom (model). Essentially I don't know the make and model of the Linux I downloaded and when I attempt to install off the disk image I created it fails to detect to setup. It was a two part file I got off the www.bigupload.com link from this page here:

http://ptn.parallels.com/en/ptn/desc/?va_id=152

I don't know the difference between a Red Hat version, a Mandriva version , or any of the versions of Linux listed on the bottom menu. What is the difference between kernel 2.4 and kernel 2.6?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  4. hotblack

hotblack Member

There are various workarounds/special installation methods for various different 'flavours' or distributions of Linux hence the various options. Generally speaking most modern distributions are based upon a 2.6 kernel (the core lowest level part of the OS) so selecting that should in theory work. Sadly this isn't the case.

ASP Linux 11.x uses kernel 2.6.x so you should select Other Linux and 2.6 kernel. this may work but you may face problems. Currently it's my opinion that Parallels is not suitable for using Linux guest OS's, there are far too many basic compatibility problems which the company seem reluctant to fix. If you want a simple plug and play install of Linux, this isn't the application to be using.

5. hotblack

hotblack Member

I see you're using a pre-prepared virtual machine, to use this you shouldn't need to go through the normal installation method. Just point Parallels at the ready made Virtual Machine (start Parallels, when prompted to select a virtual machine click 'choose' and navigate to the location you extracted the downloaded PVA).

6. mikelley

mikelley Junior Member

So I go to File --> Open then select Choose and pick the Virtual Machine?

7. hotblack

hotblack Member

You can go to the File Menu and choose open, but when first launching Parallels you're normally prompted to select a virtual machine. Basically, rather than needing to install an OS from scratch a PVA is a pre-installed,, pre-configured virtual machine than you can use straight away.

There's more info on using and managing virtual machines in the online help if you have any problems as well as info on this website about using PVA's.

8. mikelley

mikelley Junior Member

I was finally able to get it up and running (unfortunately before I read the last reply) by using the FreeDos.fdd and essentially the procedure you described. The only thing I can add is that I needed to first go to file delete to get rid of the virtual machine I had been working on.

I want to thank you guys because people on here really seem to want to help.

9. hotblack

hotblack Member

Glad you got things running :)

Thanks for the thanks, I'm sure everyone hear appreciates it. Just a shame that the company that makes the software doesn't show the same level of interest in customer needs or problems.