Proper way to Quit

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gjlazar, Jul 2, 2007.

1. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

When running parallels, you can shut down windows, then quit parallels, or just quit parallels, does it matter or is one better than the other?

2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

I just suspend or stop Parallels (usually suspend).

I do restart windows now and then to clear caches and such -- or when some update tells me to.

Phil

3. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

Good question, gjlazar. What is the danger in the various ways of quiting a Windows VM, especially a bootcamped Vista VM? Back when I was a Windows user (yesterday), I was a heavy user of Hibernation. Now I know things are different in Parallels, but how different? Let's say I'm running a bootcamp Vista VM session and I have to packup my stuff and move: what is the proper thing to do with Parallels if I want to put my Mac to sleep? Before, I would have just hibernated Windows.

4. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

I notice that if I do not uit all applications and close windows, those applications are open the next time I run parallels and my VM just like they were when I quit parallels. It wold seem threfore if you dont quit all applications first you are leaving memory tied up.