Published app going to wrong server

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by jmercmon, Nov 14, 2006.

1. jmercmon

jmercmon Guest

I have 2 terminal servers setup in version 4.1 that are part of a farm. I also have the server running the 2X console added in but the include in farm is unchecked. I pulished 1 app specifying the server not in the farm and when I try to run it from the web page it directs me to one of the servers in the farm and not the server designated in the config. 2 other apps that I have published pointing to each of the other servers work fine.

The server with the problem is running the 2X console with rdp running on port 3398 instead of 3389 this is all configed it 2X Console.

2. zippo

zippo Pro

If you disable a server from the terminal server list, the server DOES NOT make part of the farm until you reenable it. Users will not be able to connect to this server. Reenable the server if you want it to make part of the farm.

3. jmercmon

jmercmon Guest

If that is the case then putting the loadbalancer and the appserver together is a very bad idea. I have 2 TS that serves up desktops and another server that just does apps. If I check the box to include the the app server in the farm when users try to connect to there desktop they might get connected to the app server which is only designed for desktops. The desktop clients use 2x ThinClient server to boot so using a published app that just takes them to the desktop will not work they boot striat up and connect to the farm and the load balancing decides where they go.

Any solutions or config changes to make this work would be great.

4. zippo

zippo Pro

Hello,

Seems that you want to have 2 farms. 1 farm is used only for Application publishing and the other farm for desktops.

Do the following:

1. Install 2x Application Server & LoadBalancer on the machine where you want to publish the application as a single terminal server solution.

2. Install it again on the machine you want to load balance dektops as a multi terminal server solution. Make sure you install the agents on the terminal servers serving the desktops.

Now clients which want to use applications should connect to the first farm while those who want to use the desktops should connect to the other farm.

The LoadBalancer and ApplicationServer were integrated because you may want to loadbalance applications as well. Please note that you can publish desktops to which servers you want to use. You may even have multiple desktops, but you must use 2XApplicationServer Client v4.1 to make use of this feature.

If you connect with any 3rd party RDP Client 2xApplicationServer will redirect you to the terminal server with least load. There is no option to select a group of servers to which connect.

Your suggestion will be added to our todo list but please note that if you connect with a 3rd party RDP client reconnection is not garanteed!

thanks

5. jmercmon

jmercmon Guest

Would be nice to be able to setup more than 1 farm from the Console unit. I will eventually be adding more app servers so now I am going to need another console system to make this all work. Also looks like I will have to buy another copy of 2X app server as well.

All of my RDP clients are 2X technology, either the client install or the 2X ThinClientServer PXE boot. I would asume that they all interoperate correctly.