Published apps not viewable in second monitor

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by avargas, Feb 11, 2007.

1. avargas

avargas Guest

Published apps cannot be viewed in second monitor (dual monitor setup). I was told that this was a limitation within ts 5. I heard somethings about ts 6.0 and Vista being able to handle this. I have the Application server installed on windows 2003 with ts 6.0 and have tried it with windows xp ts 6.0 and a test machine with Vista installed. Still cannot seem to be able to view the published app within the second monitor. I have tried dual view and spanning. PS: I will be deploying the thin desktop for half but the other half of staff require a full pc so would love to be able to push apps but this limitation of only being able to view apps in the primary monitor is significant. Any ideas or work arounds? What about installing a second monitor on the server, would it then be able to display apps on the second monitor on pcs with the client loaded?

2. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi there,

On the clients install, the new Microsoft client with rdp 6 and use our 4.3 beta, you can download it from http://downloads.2x.com/. This should allow you to move published applications to the second monitor.

Nixu

3. avargas

avargas Guest

Insufficient rights error

I have installed the beta Application server and the client. I love how the folders are presented, etc. But when I try to launch any published application, I get the following error:

Insufficient rights available to service your request.

I have tried deleting one of the applications, re publishing it and adding myself under the allowed user. Still get the error.

4. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi,

Can you enable logging from the console and paste the relevante information.

Nixu

5. avargas

avargas Guest

I enabled logging and here is everything from it. I don't know what I am looking at but do not see much there (see below). I did install the new client on the server as well and get the same error when running the client on the server as I do when running it from my pc. If it will work better for you, feel free to call me at (208) 489-7663 or I can call you. My email is avargas@payrollamerica.com

Thanks, Tony

Mon Feb 12 09:04:56 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 5%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:04:59 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 2%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:14 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 3%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:17 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 4%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:29 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 2%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:32 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 1%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:35 2007 - Gateway is in normal mode
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:35 2007 - Starting 2X Publishing Agent Service...
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:35 2007 - Sending a Connection Request to Agent localhost.
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:35 2007 - Agent 127.0.0.1 verified successfully
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:35 2007 - 0 serviceact 0.0.0.0 Console Active Desktop localhost
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:35 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 1%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:38 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 3%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:41 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 4%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:44 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 6%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:47 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 7%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:53 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 6%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:05:59 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 11%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:06:02 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 13%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    Mon Feb 12 09:06:05 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 12%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:08 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 10%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:14 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 4%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:17 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 10%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:20 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 20%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:23 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 31%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:26 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 39%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:29 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 40%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:32 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 33%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:35 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 23%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:38 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 14%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0
    [I] Mon Feb 12 09:06:43 2007 - Performance Information: Server localhost, CPU 7%, Memory 3%, Active Sessions 1, Disconnected Sessions 0[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]

6. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi there,

I think it is better to contact Support I am more then sure that they will help you.

Nixu

7. avargas

avargas Guest

Will Contact Support

Thanks for the effort Nixu. I will post the resolution when found.

8. avargas

avargas Guest

Resolved launching issue but still cannot view in dual monit

Nixu,

I place a check in the Publishing Agent tab under Connection Settings in the console to Use client domain if specified and the apps launch now. This was not a problem in the earlier version but apparently so in the beta.

Now that the apps are launching, I find that I still cannot move the published application over to the second monitor while in Dual Mode. I am running windows xp with the 6.0 client and server 2003 with the 6.0 client. I can in spanning mode though. So this is acceptable. If you know of a way to do it while in Dual Mode, that would be even better.

Hope this helps for future reference and greatly appreciate your help in troubleshooting. Great forum!

9. nixu

nixu Guest

Just to clerify some small thing:

1. Microsoft client rdp 6 must be installed on the client.

2. Applications will be able to be moved on the sec monitor but when maximized they will size to both monitors, as in spanning mode

3. real solution for Dual Mode is somewhere in the todo list :)

What is your issue with "Use client domain if specified" ??

Nixu

10. avargas

avargas Guest

Addtional notes

Client rdp 6 is installed on the client.

When xp client is running in dual mode, apps do not move between monitors.

Apps will move between monitors if xp client is running in spanning mode.

Glad to hear dual mode is being worked on.

I was receiving the error when trying to launch an application if the "Use client domain if specified" option was not checked. Once I checked it, the apps launched perfectly and the "error" of "Insufficient rights available to service your request" went away.

No more issues regarding this topic at this time. Thanks.

11. gmax4

gmax4 Guest

Re: Addtional notes

Can you explain how you managed to run applications between monitors ?
    I really need this option !

12. avargas

avargas Guest

Apps between monitors

Gmax4, I hear you. It was a deal breaker for me as well. My application server is windows server 2003. I ran windows updates and under the optional updates is the rdp client 6.0. Install that. Then, on my client pc, running windows xp, I ran windows updates and once again, under the optional updates is the rdp client 6.0. Install that. Now then, thanks to Nixu, I installed the beta version of Application Server on the server and the beta version of the Client on the client pc. Making sure that your dual monitor settings are configured to the spanning option, you will now be able to move the published applications between the monitors. If your display settings are configured using the dual mode setting, it will still not work. I prefer using the dual mode setting but Nixu says that this is a feature they are working on so for now, I and my users will run our dual monitor configurations within the spanning configuration. I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for you. FYI: The installation of the Beta version of 2X was quite simple and took only a few minutes. Great product! :D

13. gmax4

gmax4 Guest

Thanks avargas for your reply ...

Do you know from where to configure these options ?

Thanks again.

14. avargas

avargas Guest

Configure Spanning Display settings

Hello: The client that I used for this testing is using an NVidia Video card. I can tell you how to do that. It will vary of course depending upond which video card you are using so I would suggest following the instructions provided by the manufacturer that built yours.

Right click on the background and select properties. This opens the Display Properties for my pc. Now choose the Settings tab and then the Advanced button. This opens the NVidia properties and gives me a drop down menu labeled nView Display Mode. The options there are Horizontal Span, Dual Mode, Clone, Dual View, etc. I select the Horizontal Span option. Then of course select apply and/or ok all the way back out.

I also have some Matrox video cards and this process is totally different. You will need to check and/or download the instructions for your video card or try like I did and poke around in the settings for a bit and you should find them.

Good Luck!

15. jmi

jmi Guest

Let me add a big "me too" request for this to work on ordinary Windows desktops using "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". Most of our users have somehow gotten used to working on two monitors - and the ancient Citrix client they were using supported moving apps freely between monitors.