Pv5 - prl_disp_service consuming 99% cpu

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Parallels User, Dec 7, 2009.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Attached Files:

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

Hello.

Sorry for these issues. Could you please send us problem report (Help->Report a Problem) and post here it id. Also please check wwhether problem persists on host reboot.

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. sandro

ok, thnk you very much for your help - our development will investigate problem(s)

5. petrovv

petrovv Member

Omen,
    The CopyPasteTool.dll crash is known bug and it has been already fixed. This fix will be available in the next update of PD. The problem with 99% CPU consumed by prl_disp_service isn't connected with the CopyPasteTool crash and this bug will be investigated by our development team.
    Sorry for inconvenience.

6. cam815

cam815 Member

5 months later and this is still most definitely happening in the latest version of Parallels...

[​IMG]

The Parallels app isn't even running anymore; it's been long closed by the time I took this screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I would like to suggest that you uninstall, restart the Mac, and then and re-install Parallels Desktop (reinstall using the latest version). The uninstaller will ask you whether you'd like to keep your VM files; say "yes". Hope that'll help.

8. sandro

actually pure Mac OS or even restart of Parallels Desktop services enough in order to resolve issue. Use follow steps in order to restart PD:

1. shutdown or suspend your Windows VM
    2. open Terminal app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
    3. perform follow commands:
    sudo launchctl stop com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon
    sudo launchctl start com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon

It's known very rare case and we doesn't have solution for it yet - sorry for inconveniences.

9. germin8

germin8 Bit poster

Thanks sandro for reporting this solution. I was also experiencing this issue that prl_disp_service was consuming 99% of a cpu. Stopping and starting the launchd service as you suggested solved the problem, when even rebooting had not.

Version: 5.0.9370.589435

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I've written a service that stops the Launch Daemon, and another one that starts it up again.

Unzip the attached services (they're Automator services, so you can view them in Automator when you double-click them) and put them into your library's "Services" folder (~/Libary/Services). Then you can start and stop the dispatcher from your File>Services menu. Start the dispatcher before you launch Parallels, and stop it after you've quit Parallels. Don't stop the dispatcher while you're running Parallels or Parallels will crash.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

11. johndoe

johndoe Member

so, with parallels 6, i have the problem where prl_disp_service is hogging all of one CPU at 99% .

i tried these services as quoted, making certain to shutdown parallels first, but prl_disp_service was running at 99% still after the messages about this came up.

12. johndoe

johndoe Member

turns out the scripts contain an internal password. if changed, they work for parallels 6.

13. rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh Bit poster

This is really annoying; I have NOT even ran Parallels since the last reboot, but every day or so that stupid process starts running and goes to 100% of CPU on one thread, and the only way to kill it is to go into activity monitor.

I should not have to go into terminal to kill a process (which I tried and it did not work). Please fix this, ASAP.

14. RusselJ

RusselJ Banned

Yes,it will turn out the scripts contain an internal password,if changed, they work for parallels 6. I really prefer to parallel 6.[​IMG]

15. sandro

If you have 100% reproduction of problem could you please do follow next time you'll face with it:

1. open Terminal app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
    2. perform follow command:
    sudo killall -ABRT prl_disp_service
    3. wait for a minute and perform next command:
    prlsrvctl problem-report --send --stand-alone

Please post here report id which you'll see from utility output after problem will be sent.

16. rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh Bit poster

Absolutely. The next time it happens I will do that.

For the record, I like Parallels, nice way to access the few windows programs I use.

17. ggem

ggem Bit poster

I'm not the original poster, but I just had the same problem today. Using --stand-alone didn't produce any output (and it'd return right away, so I guess it wasn't doing anything. But without --stand-alone, the output was:

% prlsrvctl problem-report --send
    Operation progress 100%
    The problem report was successfully sent with id: 9398469

Please let me know if you need more information from me. Thanks!

18. LeiniesGuy

LeiniesGuy Bit poster

I had the same problem

I have submitted the report to you with the following ID - 9408141.

19. Don Whiteside

Don Whiteside Bit poster

Me too

Came back to my laptop and found this service chewing up resources despite Parallels not running and not having been run at all recently. Submitted, id: 9416304

20. benh57

benh57 Bit poster

Same problem...