PVM File Size Keep Growing Even The Actual Disk Space Is Not

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MingL1, Dec 18, 2019.

1. MingL1

MingL1 Bit poster

My nightmare is starting once I press the button to allow Parallels to expand the disk of my VM. First, without asking how much disk space I want to expand to, it automatically expands it to 256GB. My original VM disk space is merely 40GB and I just need another 20GB. Well, you can say the actual size of the PVM file is not 256GB unless the VM disk usage goes up. That's right BUT the problem I am having is that PVM file size keeps growing even the actual disk space is not. My PVM file can grow from 40G to 160G in less than 30mins and if you go check under the VM Configure you can see there are 80G of space that can be reclaimed. No problem just start to reclaim the disk space. After you hit the reclaim button, Parallels will go frozen for hours (18 hrs to be precise) and at that point, my VM is crashed and is not bootable again. (Btw, there are no small # of ppl complaining this reclaim-then-frozen-to-death problem). Oh yes, I got back up and that will fix everything, right? NO. basically it went for a time loop and everything happens in the exact order.

Parallels Support, can you suggest how can I get out this time loop? I am using PD14 on a MBP14,3 running OSX 10.15.6.