pvsnatd "allow incoming connections" problem with Leopard firewall

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by vanpatrick, Feb 13, 2008.

1. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

Hi All--

After upgrading to 5584, I have an annoying problem where the OS X 10.5.2 firewall keeps prompting me to "allow incoming connections" for pvsnatsd, every time I start Vista in Parallels.

My firewall is using "Set Access for Specific Services and Applications" and pvsnatd IS in the list to allow all incoming connections already. Tried deleting and re-adding it to no avail. This issue did not exist in 5582, and the firewall settings were the same....

Any thoughts?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What happens if you set the firewall to allow all?
    I know that the new Build 5584 did 'mess' around with some security settings.

3. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

Thanks for your question---- If I set the firewall to "allow all incoming connections" I get no prompts, but I don't see this as a very good solution. It's the same as turning the firewall off.

Instead, my question is: why doesn't the firewall remember that I've already set this particular program to allow all incoming connections?

Another interesting development: I am being prompted in the same fashion to allow incoming connections for Parallels Desktop now, and it too is already in the "allow all" list. Note that Parallels and Parallels components are the only apps that have this problem. There are plenty of other apps in the list for which I am never prompted once I've added them to the list.

Strange, and very annoying.......

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I was primarily curious to see if it would stop bugging you... Have you tried calling Apple support? It sounds like it is is probably a Parallels issue, but have you given them a try?

5. mpc325

mpc325 Bit poster

I'm a new Parallels (build 5582) user who is having the same problems. Similar circumstances except I'm using XP SP2. I too have tried turning off the firewall and it will work fine then - but of course this is not a usable solution. Hopefully, there will be a fix for this as it is a constant bug every time that I start Parallels.

6. vanpatrick

vanpatrick Member

I'm not entirely sure why, but the nagging dialog has suddenly stopped for me. Not sure exactly when it stopped, but since installing 5584 I have also installed Vista SP1 and OS X Security Update 2008-002.

Hope this helps.....

7. jumpingjoe

jumpingjoe Bit poster

pvsnatd

I also experience this problem on my Intel MacbookPro. I'm running ver 5608. I never had this problem until I upgraded Parallels Desktop.

The guest OS is Vista --

This is definately a Parallels issue--not a MAC issue.
    We need a fix.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What is the problem?