Question about new 2020 iMac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AlexA2, Aug 4, 2020.

1. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

I'm planning to get one with 10-core, 32GB RAM, 8GB GPU. Can I allocate 8 cores, 20GB and 6GB video RAM to Windows and will that actually work?

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I don't think the VM will support that much video memory. I think 2GB is the maximum you can allocate to the VM.
    Cores, no problem. So long as this is a X64 Windows release.
    RAM same comment.

3. AlexA2

AlexA2 Member

Well that sucks! I suppose I should just put video ram on 'auto' right?

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Why does it 'suck'?.
    Remember that the actual video is being done by the Mac, not Windows. This is the memory 'window' used to communicate with the virtual screen driver, which then transfers data to the Mac screen. So long as there is enough size to handle the main window, and any temporary sections, things should all run fine....
    Yes, Auto is normally the best way to go.

5. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

I have a 2019 iMac 27", 8Core, 72GB RAM and I run a Windows 10 VM w/32GB of RAM all day with absolutely no issues. As referenced above I do have Video set to Auto and have no issues at all.

6. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

It is critical to understand that you are talking to a 'virtual' display.
    With 'auto', there will be no RAM physically allocated to the display. If you go to the Windows properties, it'll give the Dedicated Video Memory as 0GB, but then shared Graphics memory as probably 1407MB. If you explicitly allocate 2GB, instead it'll list 2GB as dedicated video memory, and another 1407MB as Shared, and give a Total available as 3455MB. I run like this with the screen at full colour depth, at 5120*2804, without problems. The Auto 1407MB though is fine. Remember that if something like a graphics function is performed, this is done by the Mac display, not the virtual display.