Questions regarding "Product Usage Data"

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TommyTran732, Jul 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. TommyTran732

TommyTran732 Bit poster

The Privacy Policy states that:

'We collect information about the way you use our Products after you have installed and registered them, if your in-product settings are set to enable such collection. The specific "Product Usage Data" varies depending upon which Product you are using, but may include:
    [...]
    • for Parallels Desktop only, list of Parallels virtual machines installed on your computer including virtual machine names, and virtual hardware configuration
    • for Parallels Desktop only, software configuration of your virtual machines, including operating systems and other software products installed inside your virtual machines
    • for Parallels Desktop only, a list of the software products you use inside your virtual machines
    `
    I would like some more clarifications on this.
    • Is this referring to the "Customer Experience Program" or is this telemetry data sent regardless of my CEP settings?
    • If it is sent separately, is there a way I can opt out of this?
    • What configurations does "software configuration of your virtual machines" refer to? I especially do not want things in my /etc, ~/.local, ~/.config and whatnot being collected, as they might contain login credentials to different services.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  2. tom53

tom53

I recently purchased a parallels subscription and I would also like to know this. I note that it also states it can collect file names, these could be highly confidential information. I know family who keep the account number and sort code in file names from their bank. Either way this is repulsive, I don't really care if you collect what VM I create but you really don't need to know file names or their content. Please clarify Parellels

We collect information about the way you use our Products after you have installed and registered them, if your in-product settings are set to enable such collection. The specific "Product Usage Data" varies depending upon which Product you are using, but may include:

• for Parallels Desktop only, list of Parallels virtual machines installed on your computer including virtual machine names, and virtual hardware configuration
    • for Parallels Desktop only, software configuration of your virtual machines, including operating systems and other software products installed inside your virtual machines
    • for Parallels Desktop only, a list of the software products you use inside your virtual machines
    We process Product Usage Data so that we can facilitate, evaluate, and verify your use of our Products and services. We will also use the Product Usage Data for our own internal statistical and analytical purposes, and to evaluate and enhance users' experience of the Products by identifying customer preferences and analyzing crash data.

In addition, certain of our products may allow you to store, send, receive, edit, sync, share, or otherwise organize or manage files and folders (including any information or data stored in those folders) ("User Files"). We will record and store information regarding the size and name of all User Files that you make available via these Products