Quickbooks 2019 Can't Access Excel for Mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Peter Clarke, May 19, 2019.

1. Peter Clarke

Peter Clarke Junior Member

Running MacOS Mojave (Version 10.14.4), Paralles Desktop 14 for Mac Home Edition (Version 14.1.3 [45485]) and Windows 10. Just downloaded Quickbooks 2019 running under Windows 10 (via Parallels, of course) and find it will not, when clicking the 'E-mail' button, export the report to Excel for Mac 2011 because it "cannot be found". Before a couple of years ago Quickbooks 2012 used to export to this same Excel for Mac but stopped for some unknown reason. I figured that the new Quickbooks would resolve this problem. Was/is this cross-platform ability discontinued ? OR is there a configuration problem I am experiencing, please? Help to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  2. Hi, and just for test, are you able to print from your Parallels Desktop vm from other apps? (Notepad for example).
    And could you please share the screenshot of "in can not be found" issue?

3. Peter Clarke

Yes I can print my report just fine. When I click the 'Excel' dropdown box, I get the two options to 'Create ~' and 'Update~'.
    Touching 'Create~' I get the window all greyed out except "Create a comma separated (.csv) file", which proceeds as expected.
    Touching 'Update~' gives me the same.
    Touching the 'Advanced...' button in ether of the above two options gives me a new window with all features greyed out (other than OK and Cancel).
    When I click the 'Email' dropdown box I get the 'Send report as Excel' and 'Send report as PDF'. When I touch the former (Excel), I get this attached screen shot stating that Excel cannot be found. The PDF option works as expected.
    I attach four screenshots of my Parallels settings which I think you might be interested in, along with the screenshot of my Excel access inability problem. I don't really have a burning desire to buy MS Office for Windows. If I have to update, I'd rather buy Office for Mac.
    Thanks much for your attention to this matter. (Screen shots not displaying here so have sent them to Maria@Parallels via email.)

4. Peter Clarke

A very interesting addition to the above ... Quickbooks' Bank Register has a 'Download Transactions' function that allows me to go online and download my bank statement AND once the .csv file is downloaded, it asks if I want to open or save the report. Clicking 'Open', it immediately loads the file into Excel for Mac without my further action. So ... obviously Quickbooks is finding Excel for Mac while working on my Bank Register but not finding it to export a Report using the 'E-Mail' button displayed with a Report's menu. Unless the discrepancy is between the standard Quickbooks report format versus the .csv file format handling, it would seem that Parallels IS managing Quickbooks properly by finding Excel for Mac (operating on the Mac side) and the problem is perhaps a programming bug within QuickBooks Premier 2019, Nonprofit Edition (operating on the Windows 10 side).

5. Peter, thanks a lot for sharing info.
    I've went through some Quickbooks forums and found users with the same issue.
    There are 2 workaround:
    - reboot computer after the issue reoccurs.
    - ran the QB repair and ran MS Office repair.
    You can try one of it and I'll continue investigation. Thank you once again for your time.

6. Hi Peter, we've received your reply:

Thank you for this.

I'm guessing it is an issue with Office for Mac 2011 perhaps not being recognized. To add to the issue, I don't see anything that tells me that QB Premier 2019 works with Office 2019, either the Mac or Windows versions. So ... I'm in a quandary.

Kind regards,
    Peter