Quicktime and DirectX Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mkummer, Jun 8, 2007.

1. mkummer

mkummer Member

Since I installed PDM v.3 I cant see any video in the Quicktime Player - the adio is OK but the video window is just white. Same with the Video in Firefox.

I installed Flight Sim 2004 - installation is OK, but the screen of all the videos and the sim window stay black.

I have enabled Direct X support.

Aby ideas what is wrong?

2. UKP

UKP Member

It seems video + dx 8.1 support don't work together.

Disable DX support and quicktime should work, but of course Flight Sim 2004 won't.

3. mkummer

mkummer Member

For the time being, the new version of parallels is a step into the desired direction, but obviously, I have to wait longer for using my FS 2004 and Tiger Woods PGA 06 or 07 since these all need DirectX 9.0c.

Interestingly enough, the QT movies run ok if displayed directly into the browser window like the newest iPhone ads. They run smoother than in v 2.5 of PDM.

4. ATXP

ATXP Member

My iTunes keeps crashing with Direct X enabled? Any solution?

5. mkummer

mkummer Member

Only to disable DirectX in the prefs. Mi iTunes works so far except of the visuals. But anyway, I use iTunes under OS X of course...

It seems the expanding of a virtual disk is not possible anymore. Hope that comes back again...

6. ATXP

ATXP Member

Do you have Cover Flow in iTunes?

I'm using Parallels 3.0 with my Boot Camp. No Cover Flow.

Anyway to solve this one?

7. mcbuckeye

mcbuckeye Junior Member

Same problem with QuickTime. When I try to watch an HD movie trailer from quicktime.apple.com, it works fine with DirectX turned off in Parallels.

However, with DirectX turned on (which I was hoping would yield smoother playback), QuickTime freaks out. The video is non-existent, with random stuff in it, and the audio seems to play.

This is the case even if in the QuickTime preferences, I tell QuickTime to use GDI instead of DirectX.