RAM limitations?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Quillz, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Quillz

Quillz Junior Member

I'm currently using Parallels Desktop Build 3036, with Windows Vista Ultimate Build 6000. I have installed Parallels to my new Core 2 Duo iMac, which has 1 GB of RAM and a 2.0 GHz processor. However, when I view the system properties for Vista, I only seem to have 512 MB of RAM available to me, and it also says my processor is running at 7.16 GHz.

Am I doing something wrong here?

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Parallels emulate virtual machine with separate memory and proccesor.
    Maxmum of memory VM: your real RAM without memory on your Mac OS.

3. Quillz

Quillz Junior Member

Sorry, I'm a little lost here. So are you saying that the most memory I can have per VM is only 512 MB?

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

With only one gig in your machine, 512 meg is a lot to give to the VM. OSX needs RAM and the VM needs RAM and they are not shared. Two gigs installed with about 768 meg for the VM and 868 for Parallels should give you best performance. Once you get it working, you can tweak it, but don't give Parallels or the VM more than half, and make sure Parallels has about 100 meg more than the VM.

I would not expect the guest to report processor speed accurately.

5. abanks

abanks Hunter

What about Vista i have 2gbs of RAM and assign 1.2 to Vista and it runs lovely alongside my mac, i have Photoshop and logic both open running with no lag.

When i set Vista to anything below a gig it starts running soooo slow !!

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

vista ran fine for me in 768MB on a 2.16Ghz 2Gb Ram MBP, if you turn all the eye candy off and set the machine up for better performance that visual enhancements.

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

I have a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo with 3 GB of RAM, running XP Pro SP 2 with Parallels 3186.

You suggest assigning a fixed amount of memory to Parallels. Is this better than the "Adjust reserved memory: Automatically" default setting?

Also, what are optimal Virtual Memory settings? (Currently I have "System managed size" checked.)

Thank you,

David