Re-Installing Parallels Desktop

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Wally_Mac, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Wally_Mac

Wally_Mac Member

I’ve been running Parallels Desktop on my Mac for almost a year and have for the most part been quite impressed and satisfied. That said, after reading many of the posts on this forum regarding Fusion, about two weeks ago I decided to also install VMware Fusion; both Parallels and Fusion have been running reasonably harmoniously.

During the last several days I’ve tried several features and functions in both Parallels and Fusion, and to make a long story short… I fully appreciate that Fusion is still in beta, but Parallels has proven to be far more viable, reliable, functional and stable for me. Although Parallels does seem to need/use more memory and CPU, and currently it does not support the dual processors.. Fusion’s problematic mouse response, lack of dual monitor support in Unity mode, no support for the CD/DVD eject keyboard button, cumbersome network connectivity, non-existent printer setup/operations, poor graphics refreshing, and general instabilities have me convinced that Parallels is currently the best solution for me.

Given the large number of program adds/deletes, system setup changes, tweaking and testing that I’ve done over the past couple of weeks I would like to totally uninstall and then re-install Parallels, apply my existing registration and then re-install my copy of Windows XP. I’ve been looking for information on how to best accomplish and am hoping that this forum might prove helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Wally..

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

In the taskbar above you click "file" and then delete (select the vm you want to delete if you have more the one installed).

You don't have to reinstall parallels, just windows. File and select New.

When you want both deleted seek in spotlight or download Appzapper to delete everything

Greetings

3. Wally_Mac

Wally_Mac Member

Jackybe67,

Thanks very much for your response. In general I would agree with your assessment and recommendation (only need to remove the Windows VM and not Parallels), but given that I've been continuously updating and upgrading Parallels from early version 2, I think it might be best to go with a completely fresh/clean re-install of everything. In essence I would like to totally uninstall and then re-install Parallels, apply my existing registration and then re-install my copy of Windows XP.

I know that the Parallels DMG file contains an uninstaller application, but if I've going to go the full uninstall-and-reinstall route, I'd like a absolutely clean start.

Regards,
    Wally..

4. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Use Appzapper....just drag parallels in box.

http://appzapper.com/

After that you can still cheque it with spotlight and see if there is something left