Re-map Release Input in Parallels 8

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by milleri, Sep 2, 2012.

1. milleri

milleri Bit poster

Does anyone know how to remap the keyboard shortcut for "Release Input" in Parallels 8. It defaults to Control ALT, which conflicts with a Windows program I run. In Parallels 7 I was able to remap it to Control Command, but I don't see how to do it in Parallels 8. Thanks in advance!

2. ZiererConsultingUG

ZiererConsultingUG Bit poster

Hi,

i have the same issue. Updated from PD 7 to PD 8. I'm system engineer and i run virtualized clients from my customers on PD8 to connect via VPN to their corporate networks. because my customers are using VMware, i need to use the vSphere Console. And the vSphere console also uses CTRL+ALT for releasing the mouse. So there is a conflict. And as already mentioned, in PD 8 the option to change the release keys is greyed out.

Anyone has an idea how to bypass this?

3. HellyH

HellyH Bit poster

+1
    Same Problem here with vMWare, and the wish to remap the keys.

4. JasonFr

JasonFr Bit poster

Same issue

I have the same problem when using the vSphere client and accessing VMs via the console.

5. ZiererConsultingUG

ZiererConsultingUG Bit poster

Hi Guys,

i recently discovered when you press "FN" in addition to CTRL+Opt, then it seems that the correct CTRL+ALT Keys will be send to the VM. At least in my environment, the cursor gets released from vSphere console.

Hopefully this helps

6. pickerin

pickerin Bit poster

+1 here too. The option is found under Preferences -> Shortcuts -> Application Shortcuts, but it's greyed out now and cannot be turned off or changed. Not sure why you'd even bother to show it if it cannot be changed.

However, I too can confirm that FN-CNTL-OPT will release the cursor in VMware vSphere 5.0. So, it would appear that the previous poster is correct that holding down FN in addition to the CNTL-OPT will now send CNTL-ALT to the VM.

7. serv

serv Forum Maven

Release Input shortcut can be changed in OS X System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts. Click + (plus), select Parallels Desktop application, Menu title is "Release Input" (without quotes).

8. JasonFr

JasonFr Bit poster

This Works

serv from the Parallels Team wrote "Release Input shortcut can be changed in OS X System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts. Click + (plus), select Parallels Desktop application, Menu title is "Release Input" (without quotes)."

This actually worked. I tried to map the release input to crtl+alt but it wouldn't let me, so instead I mapped it to crtl+r and that seemed to do the trick. It's not the preferred shortcut but since I only use coherence mode, it works just fine.

I didn't like the option to use the fn+ctrl+opt shortcut, since my Mac is docked and the lid is almost always closed.

9. Ben Kirton

Ben Kirton Bit poster

Is this a workaround or the expected behaviour?

If this is expected, why on earth would you treat your customers like that? It already exists in the logical place and has been working for a long time. Why not just keep it working?

If bug, resolution expectation?

10. puithove

puithove Member

That's not cool

I just upgraded to 8 a couple days ago and have the same issue. Not very pleased with the workaround. I really liked being able to set it (via Parallels preferences) to Ctrl-CMD which worked perfect alongside Ctrl-ALT for my vSphere client.

11. Muxor_

Muxor_ Bit poster

Same problem here. Please fix this. I've been using alt+command for years with Parallels as not to conflict with the control+alt of vsphere. While there is a workaround I cannot assign alt+command as it's not valid in the OS X system preferences. Now I am being forced to come up with a new release key for no reason. I work on multiple systems and use this key sequence all day long. Now I find myself getting frustrated at Parallels every time I hit the wrong key sequence. Why on earth would Parallels remove this option?

12. Muxor_

Muxor_ Bit poster

I found a solution for my alt+command issue. The changing of the shortcut through the OS X system preferences is a bit of a pain but if you could use all the keys it would've been acceptable. In my case I like to use alt+command and that did work in all the prior versions of Parallels I've used until version 8. I went ahead and used the system preferences application shortcut to define the Release Input to alt+command+r. Then I edited the com.parallels.desktop.console.plist file in my home/Library/Preferences directory. I found the entry I created and simply removed the "r" and saved the file. When I restarted Parallels it is now working like it used to and even shows up correctly in the greyed out option under the Parallels preferences. I may have to do this again if there is another update but for now I'm good.

13. puithove

puithove Member

Thanks Muxor! That worked for me as well.

Parallels still needs to fix this though.