RE: Windows 7 Activation Help

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BCW, Nov 9, 2009.

1. BCW

BCW Bit poster

I have a valid and legitimate version of Windows 7 Professional which I own. Before Parallels 5 came out, I installed my copy of Windows 7 on my Mac using VMWare 3.0. I activated Windows 7 on VMWare 3.0. I then downloaded Parallels 5.0 and transported my VMWare Windows 7 Drive to Parallels Drive. Now Windows is telling me my Parallels copy is not a legit copy and I must put in a new Product ID Code. Is there any way to use my existing product ID code on the Parallels drive without buying a new copy of Windows 7 Professional?

2. FredY

FredY Bit poster

Do a Phone activation with M$.

3. Dakine83

Dakine83 Bit poster

Can anyone confirm this is the only way to get Windows 7 to work in both boot camp and Parallels?

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I guess this has to do with the fake MAC addresses of the virtual machines' network cards. Your copy of Windows was registered to your Fusion's network card. Now you've created a new VM, it's essentially as if you'd bought a new computer - Windows can't tell the difference. You'd need to find the MAC address of your Fusion VM and copy that over to the MAC address of your Parallels VM. Then Windows will think this is the same machine.

5. FredY

FredY Bit poster

This works, I presume you can dial a phone. It takes only a few minutes.

If you are looking for a way to circumvent the activation process, then you are in the wrong forum as this most probably would be against rules.

6. Dakine83

Dakine83 Bit poster

Shaddam IV, thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot.

FredY - Try understanding the problem before you answer?

7. FredY

FredY Bit poster

Excuse me, I presumed that we were talking about a legal copy of Windows, installed in a legitimate machine.

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

sounds to me as if Dakine83 were trying to do just that, install a legit Windows copy on a legit VM.

9. ForrestA

ForrestA Bit poster

Invalid DNS

I've got a problem activating Windows 7 under the latest version of Parallels, with the error being the DNS entry doesn't exist. Well, of course it doesn't - I'm in a VM on a Mac, behind a NAT/firewall.

Is there a way around this?