Reactivating Windows 11 After Reinstalling

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AtipA, Nov 16, 2022.

1. AtipA

AtipA Bit poster

With Parallels Desktop 18 for Mac Pro Edition Version 18.1.0, I successfully installed Windows 11 Pro for the first time yesterday. I bought Windows 11 Pro License through Microsoft Store after the install.
    Today, I decided to delete Windows 11 and reinstall.
    Windows 11 Pro installs fine, but now I am unable to activate.

Attached Files:

2. StephenB24

StephenB24 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I had a VM installed on my old MBP Intel and wanted to use the same Windows license on my new M1 VM. I have to call Microsoft to get them to deactivate the license from the old machine so I can use it on the new one.

If you still had access to the old VM, you can use powershelgl to run the following commands to deactivate the license so that when you reinstall, you can reactivate on the new install:

1- Open an elevated command prompt (Run as Amin)
    2- type the following: slmgr /upk
    3- A message will confirm the key was uninstalled
    4- Shutdown VM and use key in new install

Link to page: https://winaero.com/how-to-deactivate-windows-10-and-change-the-product-key/

If you can't do this, you will have to call Microsoft...

3. AtipA

AtipA Bit poster

I hit Troubleshoot, and hit that I recently changed Hardware, but Microsoft is not listing this device. It is listing all my other devices that I am using, but not this one.

Attached Files:

4. AtipA

AtipA Bit poster

I also tried Go to Store, but it is forcing me to repurchase another license of Windows 11 Pro.
    I am now stuck, and do not wish too have to repurchase Windows 11 Pro every time I reinstall.
    Can somebody please help me.

5. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, please contact Microsoft support to resolve the issue. Thanks.

6. MitulP

MitulP Bit poster

Any one resolve this issue? Mircrosoft support is saying this is Parallel problem.
    It seems like I am also facing same problem with reactivation of windows. I have tried to reactivate with open settings > System > Activation, Click troubleshot. to activate a new install. but didnt help.

DavidS155 likes this.
  7. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Kindly provide us with the below information for us to further troubleshoot your issue:
    1. Screenshot of the exact error message that you are receiving while activating Windows 11.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thanks

8. ChadC10

ChadC10 Bit poster

Was any solution ever found to this? I have a M2 MacBook Air with Parallels and Windows 11 Pro installed on it. I haven't bought either yet--Parallels is still running as a trial and Windows 11 Pro is not yet activated. I fully intend to buy both IF and ONLY IF I know that I can delete a Windows VM, reinstall, and then reactivate Windows 11 Pro with my previous license key. It will be completely unacceptable if I have to buy a new Windows 11 Pro license each time I kill a VM and create a new one.

Can anyone confirm that there is a solution to this and that I only need to buy Windows 11 Pro ONCE? It's not that I intend to do this often at all, but I just want to know if Parallels' functionality is such that I will end up in this bad situation if I do need to redo the VM at some point (I'm using the VM to test prototype software, so there is a risk that the installation will get borked somehow).

Thanks!

9. StephenB24

StephenB24 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I had a VM installed on my old MBP Intel and wanted to use the same Windows license on my new M1 VM. I have to call Microsoft to get them to deactivate the license from the old machine so I can use it on the new one.

If you still had access to the old VM, you can use powershelgl to run the following commands to deactivate the license so that when you reinstall, you can reactivate on the new install:

1- Open an elevated command prompt (Run as Amin)
    2- type the following: slmgr /upk
    3- A message will confirm the key was uninstalled
    4- Shutdown VM and use key in new install

Link to page: https://winaero.com/how-to-deactivate-windows-10-and-change-the-product-key/

If you can't do this, you will have to call Microsoft...