Reactivating XP after complete hard disk erase

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mmurray, Jan 11, 2007.

1. mmurray

mmurray Member

Hi

I had some problems with one of the five machines I have Parallels and XP on and
    had to erase it completely. So I will have to reinstall and I assume ring up MicroSoft and get a new activation code. I am wondering what they need to know ? I don't know which of the 5 activation codes was the old one for that machine -- will they need to know that ? Can I work it out somehow by checking the remaining 4 machines ?

Thanks - Michael

2. agent007

agent007 Bit poster

If you're talking about the product key, you'll know when you are installiing XP. Only the correct product key will allow you to install. So just try all 5 until you get the correct one.

As far as activation if you haven't had too many activations for that key, it will automatically activate over the internet. If the product fails to activate, just call the number. When the automated system doesn't allow you to activate you'll get an attendant. Just tell the attendant that Windows is only on that computer and that you are reinstalling it on the same machine. Then you'll be activated.

Hope this helps.

3. mmurray

mmurray Member

Hi agent007,

Thats good but I have 5 DVD's and 5 associated product keys (although its possible I have mied them up!) Each was a seperate OEM purchase. Is it possible to read the product key on the installed copy of XP so I can pair them off and then the left over one is the one I need to work with ?

Thanks - Michael

4. mmurray

mmurray Member

Hi agent007

Looking around the web I have seen people saying that they Product key is not on the CD ? Can anyone clarify this ?

If anyone wants to read the product key from an existing install get KeyFinder from
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/ or if you google around you will find instructions how to find the file it is written in.

Regards - Michael

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

the cd to product key is irrelevent if the versions of xp are all the same... (ie all retail, all oem, all corporate or all education versions) but M$ will require the product key you wish to reactivate. Getting the wrong product key may cause of of the other installs to have problems with the Genuine Advantage crap...

6. mmurray

mmurray Member

Thanks. I have managed using KeyFinder to find out which CD's belong to the machines that are still OK. So the one left belongs to the machine which has been erased. Now i just have to get the machine back from the apple shop!

Michael

7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

when I tried to reactivate a one-time OEM WinXP for the second time with the correct product key

i got a large blue box listing 0800 phone number according to location and a ? 16 figure reference to dictate over the phone in order to get a new key authorised which was dictated back to me

so all ended well
    (I believe there is a limit of five?? times for this service)

Hugh W

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007