"real network adapter Ethernet 2..." error

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jonathan_david, Dec 7, 2010.

1. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

I am getting a "The real network adapter Ethernet 2 used by the virtual adapter 1 is not connected to the network" error.

Does anyone know what this is or how the fix it?

Mac Pro with Snow Leopard, Parallels 6 and Windows XP in a Boot Camp.

Thanks.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

This message means that VM is bridged to Ethernet 2, but network cable on this network interface is not connected.

I'd suggest to either bridge network to default adapter or switch to Shared Networking

3. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

Hi Elric.

Thanks very much. I'm a consumer/small office user.

Can I please ask you how to do this "mechanically"? I have a MacPro (with two Ethernet plugs) and a Time Capsule (with one Ethernet in and four Ethernet out).

Are you suggesting I change settings somewhere (and if so can you describe specifically where these are) or are you suggesting I just switch the Ethernet in on the MacPro to the other slot?

Thanks a ton.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi

the steps I meant are: menu of parallels desktop "Virtual Machine" -> Configure -> Hardware -> Network Adapter and change the network interface to which VM is bridged: likely you need to change in the combo from "Ethernet 2" to "Default"

5. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

Hi. A big thanks. It is on Ethernet 1 and I will change it to Default.

Do you mind my asking what this setting is exactly just so I can think intelligently about it if I see it again? I sometimes seem to not be able to access the internet from the VM and if this is a related issue that would also be good to know.

Thanks very much.

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Actually, Default Adapter should work always. It automatically bridges to the adapter which are default now.

It is hard to say why your VM is not able to access the internet. If you want me to investigate this, then please when this occurs again click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all". Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

8. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

thanks a ton for the expert help.

9. Christian Tismer

Christian Tismer Bit poster

As a small addition after what I just realized:

It is right, the default adapter chooses automatically a working interface.
    In my case, I wanted some more control:

I have a Mac Mini that hosts a number of virtuals. To make the virtuals visible, I used bridged networking
    and two adapters: Ethernet with manual IP address, and Wi-Fi with DHCP.
    As a second machine, I added a MacBookPro Retina with a Thunderbolt-To-Ethernet adapter.

When I configured my virtuals, "Ethernet" and "Wi-Fi" worked as interfaces.
    I removed the MacBook yesterday, all was still looking ok.

Today, I re-started Parallels, and now I suddenly got complaints from Parallels that ethernet is not mapped to an
    existing interface.

Interesting: The interface is not existing before the MacBook is connected!

When I later plug my Thunderbolt into the MacBook, nothing happens!
    The interfaces seem to be examined at startup-time of Parallels, but not again.

I think this is a little bug, maybe I have to report it, elsewhere.
    The good thing:
    With the MacBookPro plugged into Thunderbolt Ethernet, I shut down Parallels ant started it again.
    After that, everything is fine, again.

cheers - chris

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013