Real Upgrade Costs

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aaltieri, Nov 13, 2008.

1. aaltieri

aaltieri Member

Ok, admittedly, I used the trial version of 4.0 to test. Not to rub it in for those of you who did pay already, but I knew better than to spend the $40 on a product I wasn't sure would work. I've sadly been down this road before.

So here is the question: What is this upgrade costing in real dollars? For me, even though I didn't pay for the product yet, I would have to. So that's $40. Add to that how many hours trying (and still without success, though I will try Sharkmeat's idea later tonight) to get it to work and figure out what those costs are. For me, I get paid about $25 an hour. So at 8 hours already, this upgrade is costing me at least $240. If I had called for tech support, I have to pay another $30 to get this product to work, but most reports are that such a call is a waste of time and money. That would be $270. And that's a running total, I'm not done yet. Though I may cut my losses wait until 4.1 comes out.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, aside from a couple really annoying glitches, I love Parallels 3! It works great 99% of the time and is more stable than my Compaq Laptop! So I'm really trying to stay with this product. It has served me very well. But, honestly, I use this for work. If the new version can't do what a competitor's can...I may have no choice but to switch. Sadly, the Java screen draw issue with 3.x is a big one for me.

So I have two questions:

1) This question is aimed at the users who are having problems with the upgrade: Can you estimate what your REAL cost for this process was?

2) This question is aimed at Parallels management: Can you honestly say your product is worth this much? And are you willing to do anything to mitigate this for those of us who tried to adopt early. Especially knowing that your competitor can upgrade VM's your software can't, and their upgrade is free.

Just curious.

--anthony

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Give me please ticket id

3. aaltieri

aaltieri Member

Two points:

Xrayo, you are right. They won't answer. But my hopes are that if people start quantifying what this is really costing in the real world, then management might step back really give this situation a think. Otherwise, without dollar amounts (the only thing management understands) they will just see this as some annoyed users who have already paid...so...what do they care? Also, if people can quantify what the upgrade costs are to switch to VMware, well...that speaks for itself.

John: I might be simple, but any ticketing system I ever worked with only gave you a ticket number if the support staff answered the phone to give you the ticket number. Again, maybe I'm confused.

--anthony

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Give me ticket ID and if this is paid support, I will ask support engineers to call you right now
    as for xrayo, I don not understand such position, simple frustration, is not a position if I am trying to help.