RealTek drivers produce garbled audio

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Clocknova, Nov 14, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are working on this case,

2. JasonBee

JasonBee Junior Member

Audio Issues - me too.

I'm running a Mac Pro Dual Xeon, new computer, fresh OS X install - recently updated to MacOS 10.5.6, but my issues with Audio in Windows XP Vms date back to 10.5.5, when I updated Parallels to Version 4. Subsequent updates of Parallels have failed to fix the issue. I will say that Direct X functions beautifully!! Kudos!!

The Audio is an issue but not a show stopper. Please fix it as soon as is possible.

I am willing to provide any info you need. I've been watching various forums discussing the issues. I've tried:

1) Uninstalling and reinstalling the Parallels Tools - rebooting in between
    2) UNinstalling hardware.
    3) Finding the base RealTek drivers and replacing the provided AC97 drivers
    4) Sysprepping a base VM of WinXP SP2 and building a new VM.

All failed to restore audio. It remains garbled in all Windows XP Vms I've tested.

My machine base config is:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 9.6.0

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 3 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 6 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00
    SMC Version: 1.7f10

3. John@Parallels

Let me clarify, replacing AC97 drivers with Realtek will not work, device emulated in VM is Intel AC97 device, not realtek

4. JasonBee

JasonBee Junior Member

The issue here is not that everyone hasn't figured that out in the end. The issue is finding the specific driver as both of these hardware types have the same PNPDriverID if I recall.

A great way to end your note would have been a link to the Intel Driver (if allowed) download page where that bloody driver could be found. I tried for several hours to source the AC'97 audio driver as a stand-alone install before I went and manually created a driver packed with the Intel drivers files from another VM where the sound worked. I even tried to source the driver repeatedly matching the chipsets but fort some reason the drivers I gathered were all incompatible with the hardware/PNPDeviceID to not viable on WinXP (unsigned and valid only for Win98).

See these posts for my recap:

http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=140810&postcount=37
    http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=140811&postcount=38

I am senior technical analyst and systems integrator who manages between 600 and 1000 client desktops, and the final working resolution was convoluted even for me to figure out and implement. The masses of users here would have been better served with a mere driver link! When in doubt assume the users need to start from scratch and make the resolution the shortest path to success.

Now all said and done you have an exceptional product after the recent updates. I'm only suggesting Parallels as the VM solution for my private sector clients. I have been overjoyed at the advanced video emulation that allows me to run the biggies (Halo, HL2, CivIV, AutoCAD, Microstation!).

So well done...just help us with the links once in a while ;)

Cheers.

JB

5. John@Parallels

It is included in Windows XP distribution
    I suggest you to contact support, in order we can see why there is a problem
    Refer to John please, to speed up process

6. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

Has any progress been made on this? I'm having the same problem today 3/31/2009.

7. TucsonTom

TucsonTom Member

3/31/2009. Anything yet? It's a very serious issue to some of us.

8. DanielL

DanielL Bit poster

9/11/09, any progress?

9. DaveA

DaveA Bit poster

Problem with audio

I could not get various drivers to install and provide good audio. I then uninstalled Parallels Desktop and then reinstalled Parallels Desktop using the update which was downloaded Sep 11, 2009.

ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3846.436204

The audio worked without opening any Windows control panel.