Reboot after v13 install, all desktop icons gone - fixed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DennisT6, Nov 30, 2017.

1. DennisT6

DennisT6 Bit poster

Installed Parallels V13 on MBP running Yosemite 10.10.5 yesterday and all was working well until Macbook was rebooted. After logging back into the Mac all desktop icons were gone.
    Searched online and found article about hiding desktop icons but files available in /users/name/desktop. But had no files through Finder either.
    Using Finder to navigate through all documents I found several items that had previously been on desktop. Get Info indicated they were still on the desktop. Opening the containing folder brought up the empty desktop folder. Get Info for Desktop folder showed 19 files consuming 3.5 megs. There were files but couldn't be seen, even through Finder.
    Parallels tech support said if problem was on Mac side and not Windows side they don't support, suggested I call Apple.
    Apple tech support said they had never heard of this issue before.
    While he was investigating I poked around in Terminal and found that all the files were there but had been changed to hidden.
    Found this article: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2538482?tstart=0
    and used contents to change attributes: chflags nohidden /path/to/the/file/to/change
    then the desktop items reappeared - including $RECYCLE.BIN and desktop.ini which I believe was installed by Parallels and intended to be hidden. Problem seems to be that all the desktop icons were mistakenly hidden. I hid $RECYCLE.BIN and desktop.ini again, and verified all the file contents were intact.
    My belief is that Parallels install was related to the problem but I can't say why this happened on this machine but not my other Mac (running El Capitan 10.11.4). Posting this info in case someone else has same issues later.