Redirected drives not responsive.

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by KyleH5, Jan 4, 2018.

1. KyleH5

KyleH5 Bit poster

This is not a specific RAS question but I figured due to the use case someone might have an idea or two.
    RDP is having issues communicating with the redirected drives on my host while using RAS and plain RDP. the Drives show up in the file browser dialog for our application and under My Computer when logged in under RDP but when I try to access them, Windows Explorer doesn't respond (no permission denial, no path doesn't exist dialog).
    I've tried toggling blocking redirected drives in RD Session Host Configuration, they do disappear when checked but no change after unchecking.
    Disabled all GPOs except for a few broad domain ones but verified they didn't touch redirect permission.
    Tried creating a new RDP connection and existing connection, Toggling to share drives (ex only share c drive) but I am still unable to interact with the c drive.

Users login through a offsite domain so username and password is different from local computer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. jpc

jpc Pro

Which OSes are you using (client and server (seems Windows 2008 R2))?
    What is the Parallels Client version and the RDP control version you are using (Help > About) ?

RDP drive redirection can be notoriously slow at times, especially if you have high latency or a poor connection.
    You could try to open cmd on the server-side and type "cd \\tsclient\c\ && dir" (Edit: "subst l: \\tsclient\c\ && dir l:"). If drive redirection is working it should show the directory listing.

Can you also try to disable all redirection except for drive. Some of the redirected devices use the same subsystem as the one used by the drive redirection and could be causing issues (e.g. crashing printer spooler).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  3. KyleH5

KyleH5 Bit poster

Server is Windows 2008 R2, client is Windows 7.
    Server is hosted in AWS, client is in office, Not going to say our office connection is rock solid all the time but its quick enough to easily stream on.
    Tried disabling all redirected devices expect drives and restarted server.
    tried "cd tsclient:\c\" no such directory (not sure if thats what you mean or if it should be mounted at cd c:\tsclient\c, tried both)
    cd "C on khartley1612:\" no such directory
    cd "C:\" works
    Attached are pictures showing what the drive looks like pre click in win explorer and post click.

Drag and drop through the connection appears to work, our client who reported the issued found if they save a file to the Server then drag it through the dialog it will copy successfully.

Our IT is looking into it but I did notice under Roles for Network Policy and Access that
    Remote Access Connection Manager is stopped and manual (i think I remember this being corrrect for Parallels RAS setup, if I'm wrong please correct me)
    Routing and Remote Access is stopped and disabled. (unsure on this)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  4. jpc

jpc Pro

@KyleH5 I'm sorry for the wrong instructions. Indeed you have to mount it first.

The path for an RDP drive is normally \\tsclient\<drive-letter>. So from command line, they should be:
    Code:
    subst l: \\tsclient\c\
    dir l:
    where "l:" is any free drive letter you have available on the server

The services you mentioned seem to be in their default state (at least according to this list: http://www.blackviper.com/windows-services/).

Having said that, if drag and drop onto the redirected drive's icon is working, then RDP drive redirection seems to be working properly.
    RDP drive redirection is not fast, even on a LAN, so the fact that it goes through AWS could affect it a bit. However it should still work. Could it be that you some some other processes attempting to access the drive at the same time (e.g. antivirus) ?

Also, make sure that the network providers registry value is setup correctly:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2436104/local-drive-redirection-not-working-in-rdp-session

5. KyleH5

KyleH5 Bit poster

1. subst l: \\tsclient\c\ does work. Now the drive is showing up as a disconnected network drive. (edit) I mistyped copying to the L: drive does work in cmd and through windows explorer.
    upload_2018-1-8_11-56-50.png
    2. Let me clarify the drag and drop was through the window, not to the drive in windows explorer. So if you dragged a file from the RDP session window on to your local desktop it would successfully copy the file, per the customer. I can't get this to work but I verified that dropping onto the drive in windows explorer (either the L or C on KHARTLEY1612) still does not work.

3. I had found that page previously and steps 1, 3, and 4. I have verified. I cannot find the setting to 2. connect drives on login, I assume they did away with the setting for server 2008.
    (edit) I had overlooked the resolution section but verified the registry entry is set for default settings

6. jpc

jpc Pro

Points number 1 and 2 contain contradictory remarks ("L: drive does work in cmd and through windows explorer"), ("dropping onto the drive in windows explorer (either the L or C on KHARTLEY1612) still does not work").
    Your screenshot however makes it clear that drive redirection is simply not working. I doubt it has anything to do with GPO. At this point, my best suggestion would be to compare to a known working server maybe you find the corrupted configuration.

Regarding drag and drop in your point number 2, as far as I know drag and drop from an RDP (mstsc) window to the local desktop does not work unless you have some 3rd party helper software. Copy & Paste of files should work both ways, but it obviously does not use the RDP drive redirection but clipboard.

Regarding "connect drives on login", it seems you are right -- it has been removed (or at least lost its meaning: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754110.aspx).