Remote desktop in windows VM (from Mac retina) is too small

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mreco99, Aug 12, 2014.

1. mreco99

mreco99 Bit poster

hi
    Im using a 15 inch macbook retina laptop
    Using Parallels to run windows 7, which is fine.
    Problem is when i am in windows 7 and start a remote desktop connection (RDP) from windows, the RDP session is such high res, i can hardly read the font, the font is soo small.
    I know about DPI scaling and that fine for my windows 7, but not for the remote desktop session from the windows session

Any ideas.?

thank
    Simon

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hello Simon,

Please follow the workaround suggested at: http://kb.parallels.com/114783 to adjust the resolution settings in Parallels and let us know how it goes.

3. mreco99

mreco99 Bit poster

worked perfectly thanks, you saved my eyes

4. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Simon,

Glad that your has been resolved. Feel free to get back to us if you need any assistance.

5. CaevanS

CaevanS Bit poster

Has there been any progress on this, as the workaround is not the best.
    If you change the display settings to scaled the RDP session displays correctly, but the rest of windows is now in a large font.
    In my work I use Visual Studio and will run an RDP to a test environment. The above solution make VS difficult to use as I no longer get the benefit of the large screen

6. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Unfortunately this is a windows issue. The same exact issue exists on my Surface Pro 3. While windows 10 makes this a little better most elements are still too small. Even on Surface 3, I have to change resolution smaller and turn off dpi scaling.

7. CaevanS

CaevanS Bit poster

I also run a Citrix virtual desktop with Windows 7 from my Mac. If I RDP to the same location from the virtual desktop the display does not have the same issue.

8. AlekseyM

AlekseyM Product Expert

Citrix is very different from RDP. Citrix does not support high dpi so it's not even scaled to begin with. RDP however is DPI aware, but it doesn't scale. Search for RDP high dpi text too small on google. You will see numerous people have this issue with windows boxes.

9. CaevanS

CaevanS Bit poster

Not sure if you understood my comment. I first go to my Virtual Desktop resolution (2068 x 1136) via citrix, I then run an RDP within the Virtual Desktop. So the RDP is running inside the virtual desktop.
    But I understand if it can't be done.