Remove a VM from List of VM during startup?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by cmartinez, Jul 11, 2007.

1. cmartinez

cmartinez Bit poster

Does anyone know how to remove a VM from the "Select a Virtual Machine" list when you first start up Parallels? I have a VM in that list that sits on a networked drive. When I am on the road and not connected to this drive, Parallels searches for this drive, resulting in long start up times, or even failures (I have to restart Parallels or reboot the computer because parallels doesn't think it has enough drive space).

Any ideas? I've searched the Library folders for any possible "preference" type settings, but no luck.

Thanks.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Do you wish to uninstall this machine?

This is from the knowledge base it may help you Problems When Installing or Running Parallels Desktop

http://kb.parallels.com/entry/20/235/

kat :)

3. cmartinez

cmartinez Bit poster

Re: Clearing the "Recent VM" list during startup

No, I am not trying to uninstall Parallels.

When you first start Parallels, you are presented with a list of recently used VM's. Some of these reside on my network drives that are not connected to my MacBook Pro when I am travelling (they are clones, or previous VM versions I created while troubleshooting). I don't use these VM's any more.

When I am at home, Parallels quickly finds these VM on my network and Parallels quickly starts up. When I am away, Parallels cannot find the VM's in its list. Instead, I get multiple (actually, usually only 2) error messages that the Network is unavailable. The problem is that Parallels cannot start until it gets past these error messages. This can take 1 minute or more than 5 minutes. Once Parallels starts up, chances are that I will get the error message that there is not enough memory. I have to restart Parallels and go through the same process. If Parallels does not successfully launch my VM, I have to reboot the computer. Overall, this can take 10-20 minutes each time (especially when you include the time it takes Windows to boot completely). When I get home, Parallels works flawlessly (well, usually).

I was wondering if this "Recent VM" list (or whatever it is officially called) can be cleared so that my Parallels does not look for them. I tried uninstalling Parallels and deleting everything that potentially looked like a Parallels preference file, but I couldn't get rid of the "recent VM" list.

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I created a script to clear the VM list. Hopefully it will resolve your problem.

5. cmartinez

cmartinez Bit poster

This worked great and solved my problem! Parallels should include this function. I'm guessing that only MacBook owners experience this problem. Thanks for posting it.