Remove Windows Apps from context menu in OS X (open with)?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by gleichzeitiger, Feb 24, 2013.

1. gleichzeitiger

gleichzeitiger Bit poster

Hi!

How can I remove Windows apps, that Parallels put into the "open with" context menu? Some entries might be useful, but I don't think for example that I will ever need Windows Media Player for my video files.

Thanks!

2. FrederickJ

FrederickJ Bit poster

Here is how to remove the windows app from the open with menu

WARNING: this will result in permanent changes and recovery may require re-installation and even then be incomplete.

Step 1. Quit Parallels
    Step 2. In Finder open ~/Applications (Parallels)
    Step 3. There will probably be a sub-folder named something like "Windows Vista Applications"
    there may be more than one, so check each
    You will find a list of files labeled as Applications
    Delete those you want to remove from the list
    Step 4. Empty the Trash
    Step 5. Open Terminal and run the following command (without the quotation marks)
    "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"

Make sure it has run (press return a couple times and make sure Terminal responds
    Type "exit" and press return
    Quit Terminal

the items should be gone.
    You may need to repeat whenever the application gets updated.

Here is what happens.
    Parallels creates a directory of windows applications unless windows is operating in isolation mode.
    The supposed applications are just stubs of unix files which open the application under Parallels
    OSX creates a database in the user library named com.apple.launchservices.plist, which controls what types of documents are opened by what applications. It will search the computers for applications and when found, register them in the database. The terminal command forces a rebuilding of the database

By deleting the application and emptying the trash, you prevent lsregister from seeing the application and therefor take it out of the database.