Restoring Parallels from Time Machine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KGSawyer, Dec 7, 2007.

1. KGSawyer

KGSawyer Bit poster

Due to lots of transient problems with my upgrade to Leopard and consult with Mac Genius, I've decided to wipe my hard drive clean and re-install Leopard, and then reinstall all my other software.

I've got it all backed up on Time Machine and will do a clean install of the latest build of Parallels, but where do I find my windows-based software data files? I run about 10 windows programs, including Quicken (which I've backed up separately) for the psych testing that I do, each with their own way of backing up the data.

Somehow this all sounds like a disaster waiting to happen - anyone have any advice for me? It won't be horrible if I lose my windows data, other than quicken, but it would be nice to retain it.

2. bflyen

bflyen Junior Member

I had a disk crash and Apple replaced the hard drive, so I restored Paralles from TimeMachine. The hard disk is a virtual file:
    /Users/me/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista/winvista.hdd

My 32GB disk is compressed down to 18GB. All your files are there and to TimeMachine this is one file, this requires a large backup disk (mine is 500GB) to back up Parallels since any change is written to the 18GB file and thus backed up every hour as long as Parallels run.

You need to reinstall Paralles after the restore since Leopard will complain about missing drivers. I had to start with the Install of 3.0 UK version and then upgrade to 5162.

BenT

3. KGSawyer

KGSawyer Bit poster

Ben,
    Thanks for your reply. Rather than restore Parallels from Time Machine, I am going to do a clean install of all my software in the hopes that they will then work better with Leopard. I just need to capture the data of the various programs I use, not the programs themselves. Would it work if I just backed everything up to a desktop folder, then slid the folder over to the Mac desktop side, and reversed the process after the reformat is done?

Kathy

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

as far as I understood your need, you'll have to just backup the .hdd file of the VM (or just keep it somewhere safe) and then, after MacOS reinstall, you will install Parallels again and create a new VM using this existing .hdd.

Best regards,
    Alicia.