Retina Fonts Too Big

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidA4, Dec 18, 2018.

1. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I'm got Windows 7 Pro running under Parallels Desktop 14. But, I've had similar problems over the years - that is, with previous version of Parallels Desktop. I have a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro. In the Parallels Configuration/Hardware/Graphics area I've selected "Best For Retina Display". Overall this looks the best compared to other settings - but there's always this very odd problem with the fonts - and it's system wide - including applications. Typically, you see the incorrect or oddly sized fonts in various menus of programs (usually at the top), the Close X is the wrong size and looks conspicuous, and as you navigate you see the issue is reoccurring. Sometimes the size of the font will cut off the text in various dialog boxes and whatnot.

Has anyone had this problem - incorrect font size with the Retina setting? I've had the problem since 2015 - when I bought Parallels.

2. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I found two solutions. Keep in mind this is when Parallels Display/Graphics is set for the 'Best for Retina' setting (not the scaled)

Solution 1
    1) Double click on the desktop, then click Personalize
    2) Select the Windows Classic Theme
    3) While still in the Personalize select Window Color and change font sizes there. You may need to restart any open applications to see the changes.

Solution 2
    Create a new VM. It's hard to say, but I think in my case something was outright corrupt with the original VM install (which I had just installed the day before - so it wasn't like the VM was a year old or something - it was a brand new install). Anyway, I prefer Solution 2 over Solution 1 and thats what I ultimately stuck with. But, if you can't create a new VM for some reason - then Solution 1 might be for you.

Oh, yeah, don't forget to reinstall Parallels Tools (just kidding). I wouldn't believe for a moment you'd need to reinstall Parallels Tools moments after creating a new VM.