Retrieving windows file from Time machine

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by Induna, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Induna

Induna Bit poster

How does one retrieve a Windows file from "Time Machine"?

2. Induna

Induna Bit poster

Time machine

My question was how to retrieve a Windows file from Time machine?

I already have back up on TM, but it backs up the Complete bare Image of Windows as a VM, so the question remains, how do you extract a file from the VM out of TM?

3. dadams

dadams Bit poster

Unfortunately, no.

Time Machine operates within the Mac OS. Parallels is a guest OS and as such is an intermediary to the Windows virtual machine and disk drive. While it may be possible for Parallels to present a file system that Time Machine could see and back up, I have not found a way to make this happen. I'm not wild about setting up yet another backup solution just for the Windows file system, but at the present time this appears to be the only solution to get file-level granularity to my Windows based backups...

4. Induna

Induna Bit poster

Retrieving a Windows file

Thanks for yr response. Looks like we will have to rely on Mozy to do the job when necessary. For all the capability of Parallels for the Mac you would think they could come up with some method of being able to retrieve a selected file or series of files in Windows instead of the whole VM. It must be devastatingly frustrating for an unsuspecting Parallels user to discover that when he/she wants to recover a Windows file, the Time Machine backup is useless!

Any idea if the Fusion VM has any better method or capability in that regard?