Revert to Parallels 3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fmckinnon, Dec 2, 2008.

1. fmckinnon

fmckinnon Member

Hi,
    At the busiest, most critical time of the year in my e-commerce business, Paralells has brought my productivity to a stand still, with errors, copy/paste issues, Endicia (Dazzle) locks up at least 100 times per day.

Is there an easy way to revert to Parallels 3?

Can I just simply install Parallels 3 and add my win XP image, or will it not recgonize it, now that it's been coverted to the bug-ridden 4.0?

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Yes, there is a way to downgrade if you have no backup of virtual machine:

Navigate to the folder with .pvm package,
    Ctrl+click it and select Show package contents,
    Ctrl+click .hdd file and select Show package contents,
    copy .hds file to your Desktop for example, Ctrl+click it,
    choose Get info and rename it to winxp.hdd, uninstall Parallels Desktop 4.0,
    install Parallels Desktop 3.0.
    You can use the following direct link to download the installer:

http://www.parallels.com/download/file/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5626-Mac-en.dmg

Launch the application, select New virtual machine (File -> New),
    choose Custom installation method,
    when asked about the hard disk option choose Using existing hdd and specify the path to the winxp.hdd file on the next window,
    you will be asked to confirm hard disk convert, confirm.
    On the last window click More options and uncheck Start Windows installation checkbox

In case if you have a backup then simply uninstall the version 4.0. install 3.0 and use File -> Open.

3. CliffH

CliffH Bit poster

Reverting to Parallels 3

My pvm package has no .hdd

I assume it is pointing to an existing hdd called win98.1.hdd

This has multiple .hds files in it. The most recent one is only 1.55GB, which seems way too small. The one from several days ago, when I upgraded to Parallels 4 is 24.03GB

What to I do to get the latest HD image to use back in Parallel 3.

Like many others I have purchased Parallels 4 based on the claimed speed improvement and find it too slow to be usable.