Right settings for Win7 on MacBook pro w/ 8Gig mem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Metrowest, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Metrowest

Metrowest Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 1 year old MacBook Pro with 8 gig. When I first got it and installed parallels and Win 7 was fast. I allocated 3 Gig and 1 processor to the VM (because I don't think 32 bit W7 can use more than that). My entire MacBook has just gotten really slow (Mac and Windows) since the new OS upgrades and Parallels upgrades -- current on all.

I did some poking around tonight and in activity monitor:

2.8 Meg of the Mac's memory is still free -- earlier it was 4 Meg free when running my VM.

When booting windows 7 or running it the disk is being heavily utilized, but processor utilization is always at 13% or so -- so it seems to be a disk issue.

But strangely the memory utilization of the Parallels/W7 VM process is always less than 1/2 Gig in activity monitor. With all this memory free why wouldn't a full 3 Gig be dedicated to the VM and why is this process paging to disk so much?

I think the disk is the bottleneck -- so I figure I must have some settings wrong.

Can anyone suggest some settings changes in the Mac or Parallels to make this run faster?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn