"Right way" to downgrade from RC2 to 1970?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by thezippy, Feb 13, 2007.

1. thezippy

thezippy Bit poster

Ok, so after realizing that the performance of Vista in RC2 is so bad as to make it unusable, I've decided I should probably go back to 1970

Is there documentation anywhere on the best way to "downgrade" from the Beta to the old steady release? Couldn't find anything anywhere...

Thanks,

Charlie

2. hhwong

hhwong Member

I just did it myself -- I was having issues with Outlook hosing up -- I think networking in RC2 isn't quite there yet -- and I got tired of it.

1. Load up VM in RC2. Uninstall Parallel Tools (I did this while downloading 1970 again) -- it will make you reboot.
    2. Shutdown your VM and close Parallels
    3. Find the RC2 DMG file (or download it again) and open it up. Double click on the Uninstall to remove RC2

(I guess you could reboot your mac here -- but I didn't and it didn't seem to do anything bad)

4. Open up the 1970 install DMG. Install 1970
    5. Boot up your VM in 1970 and reinstall Parallel Tools. It will complain about overwriting newer files, but I just told it go ahead anyway (figuring that RC2 tools won't work with 1970). Be careful that the window asking you if you want to overwrite newer files in Windows might be hiding behind the install screen.
    6. Reboot VM and voila, you're back in business.

Worked for me. It might work for you.

3. VTMac

VTMac Pro

- Uninstall Parallels tools from your VMs
    - Make a copy of your VM
    - Run the uninstaller for 3150
    - Install 1970
    - Install Parallels Tools in VM

Be happy. If something goes wrong, you'll be glad you've got that VM copy.

4. drval

drval Pro

hhwong::>>I just did it myself -- I was having issues with Outlook hosing up -- I think networking in RC2 isn't quite there yet -- and I got tired of it.

We're you using Shared Networking?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  5. thezippy

thezippy Bit poster

How do I copy my VM? Just copy it out of /library/Parallels?

(To like my desktop?)

Thanks,

Charlie

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

yep, that'll do it

7. wgdixon

wgdixon Member

Remove Parallels Tools using the Windoze Add/Remove Programs control panel? I did that but seem to have some leftovers gumming up the system a bit...like it wants to go fullscreen every time I start up now, regardless of settings, and still complains about PT compat.

8. hhwong

hhwong Member

Yes I was, in fact. I noticed that 3150 hosed up NetBIOS naming when using Bridged (which works fine in 1970) so I had to go to IP addresses instead of Windows Network names. And since I had to go to IP addresses anyway, I decided to change from Bridged as my standard setup because I keep forgetting to change the setting when I'm on the road.

9. hhwong

hhwong Member

Yes -- use the Add/Remove control panel.

And don't forget to reinstall 1970 Parallel tools!

It was doing that to me too -- when your VM is up and runnng, go to full screen under the View menu.

10. FromageTheDog

FromageTheDog Bit poster

Beauty. The 2 things I wasn't doing before:
    1.) Uninstalling Parallels Tools from within the Windows VM, and
    2.) Using the uninstaller in the RC2 disk image (I was using the uninstaller in the Parallels folder in the Applications folder).

Not sure which one was critical, or maybe both, but either way I'm happily back to build 1970, and not unrecoverably hosing my networking every time I run Parallels. I mean really, guys, how the heck does something with such a serious flaw get into "Release Candidate" status?