Role Service of RDS to install

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by royalspirit.yungchau, Mar 3, 2016.

1. royalspirit.yungchau

royalspirit.yungchau Bit poster

Hi,
    I am setting up Parallel RAS, and so i would need to install Remote Desktop Serive. I seems cannot find related article mentioning what RDS role service is required by Parallel RAS, could you give me some help? Thanks

RD Session Host:
    RD Web Access:
    RD Licensing:
    RD Gateway:
    RD Connection Broker:
    RD Virtualization Host

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Valentin@Parallels

Valentin@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey,
    Terminal Services (for Windows Server 2003) or RDS Services (for Windows Server 2008 and following releases) with available TS/ RDS CALs is required.
    Installing RDS Services is pretty simple.
    Just navigate to Server Manager - Manage - Add Roles and Features.
    On "Installation Type" step select "Remote Desktop Services installation".
    On "Deployment Scenario" tab select "Session-based desktop deployment".
    For all the other steps just follow the instructions of installation wizard.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day!

3. GrantT1

GrantT1 Bit poster

You're correct, this seems (and is) "pretty simple". However, it's a key step that should be outlined in a very easy to locate part of Parallels documentation (eg. in System requirements, Quick start guide, and perhaps even the Introduction part of the Administrator's Guide).

But then, doesn't Parallels automatically configure the RDS role as part of the configuration?

For Server 2012 R2 with a single session host, do you recommend Standard Deployment or Quick Start (the step in between "Remote Desktop Services installation" and "Session-based desktop deployment")? I guess it depends on the scenario. I went ahead and used Quick Start today, but it would be nice if a number of deployment scenarios with the corresponding role configurations were documented.

I think this would help a lot of people who are new to Parallels, and new to RDS in general.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017