Rollback

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by rjgebis, May 17, 2006.

1. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

As a developer I would like to see this option in the future version or Parallels as it is quite important to me and I am sure there are others that will agree with me. What I am talking about it having Undo future built in (Virtual PC already has it). For Example when creating Install package that needs to be tested multiple times before it is ready, I would like to be able Undo the last changes (I am not talking about uninstalling the package that I just installed) I am talking this should be done on OS level. Right now I have to have separate VM HD copied so I have one that is always fresh.

Robert

2. Mniot

Mniot Bit poster

So, you mean you want it to keep a diff of the hard drive?

That would be really useful. I'd like to install Windows, and be able to revert to the fresh install when it starts to break on me.

3. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Yup, Not sure how VirtualPC is doing it, but they do.

4. Blaster

Blaster Member

Virtual PC has 2 ways of implementing rollback. The first way is through a type of virtual hard drive called a Differencing disk. A Differencing disk stores only the changes made against an existing hard drive image. The virtual machine sees a Differencing disk as a normal hard drive.

The second way is through Undo disks. When you enable Undo disks in the virtual machine settings in Virtual PC, it stores all changes made while a virtual machine is running to a separate file. When you shut down or suspend a virtual machine, you can choose to write the changes to the actual hard drive image, discard the changes, or temporarily keep the changes without writing them to the hard drive. If a virtual machine has multiple hard drives, the chosen action applies to all the hard drives.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  5. Daniel Pasco

Daniel Pasco Bit poster

I agree

Being able to roll back to a clean install is a huge deal for our company. It's how we test our "clean box" installs.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

This functionality is in our roadmap for future version. For now you can backup whole virtual disk image (one *.hdd file) before any actions which may require such rollback.

7. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Good deal Andrew. Nice to know that it is in the plan. For now that is what I was doing making copies.

8. deniero

deniero Bit poster

Hi Andrew,

I hope the future versions of Parallels will have features for Virtual disks supporting undoable, non-persistant and persistant modes like VMware. Thanks!

9. sirzrx

sirzrx Bit poster

why just dont add a freeze option?
    or u can install deepfreeze on ur VM