Run Parallels Windows VM in Boot Camp? (or just boot it)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ramparts, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ramparts

ramparts Junior Member

Hey all - I have a VM of Windows Vista in my Parallels 3 (going to upgrade to 4 soon, if that makes a difference), and I need to run it a la Boot Camp so I don't have all of the Mac memory getting in the way of more graphics-intensive PC games I want to play. I've read a lot about using an existing Boot Camp partition for a VM, but is there a way to do the opposite - use an existing VM for a Boot Camp partition, or does Parallels have a way to boot into Windows itself?

I'd really like to not have to create two separate Windows installations, one for Parallels and one for Boot Camp (the 18 GB virtual HD is way more memory than I'd like to spend, anyway!).

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In theory it is possible
    In short steps are as following
    1. Use backup to backup all data files and system state in Vm
    2. Restore to Boot Camp
    3. Perform Windows repair.
    But it will take more time, than simply reinstalling applications

3. ramparts

ramparts Junior Member

Thanks! But I'm a bit confused...

Most importantly, will doing this allow me to use the same VM for both Boot Camp and Parallels? I want to be able to use both Boot Camp and Parallels, without having two separate Vista installations.

As for the steps...how do I restore a backup to Boot Camp? Does backing up entail anything besides just copying the VM file?

4. John@Parallels

5. ramparts

ramparts Junior Member

Thanks!

More importantly, though, I'm still confused - will doing this allow me to run Windows in Parallel and Boot Camp using the same partition, or do I always need to have separate partitions/VMs for the two?

6. John@Parallels

If you do this correctly, it will allow to run Boot Camp and VM in the same partition,
    Just want you to notify, we do not support such transition,and you are doing it on your own risk

7. ramparts

ramparts Junior Member

Thanks! One last thing...what do you mean by "Restore to Boot Camp"?

8. John@Parallels

When you do backup of VM, it will be a file, you need to copy it to external disk, and then use restore operation for that backup
    Please check link I provided earlier for more details

9. CallumMcLean

CallumMcLean Junior Member

I am looking to do something similar but with windows xp? is this possible?