Running OS X 10.5 Leopard on Parallels Desktop 15.1.2

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by SteveE5, Jun 29, 2020.

1. SteveE5

SteveE5 Bit poster

I installed Leopard and it runs. I can use the app I installed it for. But I have no internet and no printing. Do they not work on PD 15 or is there a setting I've overlooked? Thanks so much.

(PS. My host system is 10.13.6 High Sierra. I'm still happily running a mid-2010 17 inch MacBook Pro and that's as high as it'll go, so Catalina's not involved.)

2. kavyaM

kavyaM Hunter

@SteveE5 Please let us know if you have installed OS X Leopard or Leopard server to check further. Also refer the article to know about Parallels Desktop for Mac System Requirements.

3. SteveE5

SteveE5 Bit poster

It's Leopard server. I was under the impression that the non-server version wouldn't work. Once I got it installed I was primarily interested in running my old app, so it's quite possible something on the server needs to be set up to mesh with the host through Parallels - but I don't know anything about servers. If that's the case I hope you do.

I also have an El Capitan virtual machine and it installed perfectly, but the El Cap not a server.

4. SteveE5

SteveE5 Bit poster

Hmm. I posted a reply last night, but it's not here.

So -- it's Leopard Server. I think the standard Leopard doesn't work. So since I've never used an OS X server before, there could well be something in the server that has to be set to connect to the internet and printing, but I don't know what. Hopefully you do from your experience.

The one clue I can offer is, when I go into the Leopard Network settings, it says my ethernet cable is unplugged, but of course I have no ethernet cable. I tried doing a Bridge Network for Wifi, but that doesn't work, either.

5. SteveE5

SteveE5 Bit poster

Hmm again. Now the lost message appears... Sorry, but it wasn't there before.

6. SteveE5

SteveE5 Bit poster

So I solved my own problem, but there are undoubtedly better ways to do this. My solution was trial and error.

First, check out an article at MacStrategy called "Virtualising Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (Server)." You can pretty much follow their step-by-step guide to installing your Leopard Server, although I sometimes preferred my customization to theirs. Either way, that gets the install done, but there's still no internet or printing.

Then, open the Server Admin. You may have chosen services while setting up the server; if not, you can do it here. The directions above tell you to call your server something like "myserver.private," which I did - and that shows up here. However, you need to click the + at the bottom; that will offer the chance to add "myserver.local," which is what you want. Now you choose services for your server to run - and here are DCHP, DNS, FTP, Print, and Software Update, among many others. I chose those because they seemed right (though I still don't know if I need both DCHP and DNS). Now click the triangle next to myserver.local, and you'll see your chosen services with little empty dots next to them. Click on one and the info panel shows that service as "Not running." But down at the bottom is the button to start it. Do that with all your services, and now you have functioning internet and print and so on (the dots have turned green).

But wait. One thing I still don't understand is, in the Parallels settings it suggests using "Shared Network." When I was having trouble getting the internet, I changed it to "Bridge / Wifi." Things work after starting the services as above, but I don't know if you need to switch to "Bridge / Wifi." If things don't work, that's the answer.

Parallels, of course, offers almost nothing useful about getting Mac OSes to run, and this is particularly glaring with these older systems, which require a Server rather than a Standard system. It would really behoove Parallels to explain how to do this.