Running out of disk space...can't find anything that's like my situation.

Amy0000

Bit poster
I've searched and searched and can't find a solution to my problem.

I've tried other things posted here but they don't seem to be applicable to me.

I'm running Parallels version 6 with Windows XP. I started off using BootCamp so my .pvm is 'Imported My Boot Camp'.

When I go to configure, it says Expanding Disk, 159.3 GB (my hard drive on my macbook is 160GB, I currently have 62GB unused, my .pvm file is 20.8GB).
When I had started, I believe that my Expanding disk was only 20GB, and that seems to be what my VM is stuck at. I cannot get it to increase in size, even though it now says it is 159GB. I can't install anything unless I delete/uninstall things. When I look at properties for my C:/ drive, it says that its

When I go to: Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management, it shows:

-200MB Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)
-127.88GB Healthy (Unknown Partition)
-129MB unallocated
-20.85GB NTFS Bootcamp (C:) Healthy (Boot)
-10.25GB unallocated

I cannot extend my Bootcamp into the 10.25GB unallocated. I have tried using command prompt, third-party software (Minitool), and the computer management. When I right-click, there is no extend option.

Please help!
 
So the .pvm file itself (from a Get Info in Mac OS X) is only 20 GB? Have you tried reclaiming disk space? In the VM configuration (with the VM shut down), go to General. What are the numbers there for the disk size and reclaimable space? Click Reclaim to reclaim space.

Steve
 
So the .pvm file itself (from a Get Info in Mac OS X) is only 20 GB? Have you tried reclaiming disk space? In the VM configuration (with the VM shut down), go to General. What are the numbers there for the disk size and reclaimable space? Click Reclaim to reclaim space.

Steve


I'm not sure where you want me to look, if I go to Virtual Machine -> Configure -> General Tab, it says:

Name: Imported My Boot Camp 1
Windows XP
CPUs: 1
Memory: 2GB

Under the hardware tab:
Source: Imported my Boot Camp 1.hdd
Expanding Disk, 159.3GB
Locations IDE 0:0
 
Still on the General tab, at the bottom, it has a colored picture of disk use and a "Reclaim" button.

Steve
 
Steve,

Here is a screenshot of what I see. I don't see a coloured picture of a disk. Am I in the right window?

Also I just remembered, sometimes, when I uninstall things so that I can install new things, the free space shows only until I restart again. Once I restart, my total space shrinks back and again tell me that I am running out of disk space. I think I have been stuck at 20GB for a while now though. screenshot.png
 
Oh, silly me. You're still on PD6. I forget where the option to reclaim unused disk space is in PD6. In PD8 and 9, it's in the General tab, but obviously you don't have it here. Search the help for reclaiming unused space on an expanding disk.

Steve
 
I cannot find anything about reclaiming space on an expanding disk, the ones I've found, I have tried and haven't work...

Would upgrading solve this problem?
 
On the Hardware tab, select your virtual disk. There should be a Compress button or something that allows you to do this. You have to fully shut down the VM first, though.

Steve
 
I ge the error:

"Hard disk 1 used by the virtual machine "Imported My Boot Camp 1" cannot be compressed. The disk is either plain, or dynamic, or contains no data. Such disks cannot be compressed.
 
Back
Top