Running Windows 10 guest on Retina screen - recommended settings?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by marcosscriven, Aug 4, 2015.

1. marcosscriven

marcosscriven Junior Member

I've just tried Windows 10 Pro as a guest on a Retina MacBook Pro 15". I chose 'developer' settings, but bumped the video ram up to 1024MB.

Now there's quite a few options that interact regarding display settings:

1) In the OS X host, you can run natively at what it says is 1440x900, but is actually pixel-doubled from 2880x1800, or scaled for a larger 'effective' resolution - that is more real estate, smaller components, at the cost of scaling performance and slightly less smooth.
    2) In the Parallels settings you can choose 'Enable Retina'
    3) On the Windows 10, when you're in 'native' mode on the OS X host, you can see the full 2880x1800 option. Then there's cleartype options, and a slider for scaling.

I usually like to run my MacBook at the maximum scaled size, for an effective 1920x1200 screen (better for development), but running the Windows VM in this is /extremely/ jerky indeed. I've not had such problems with Windows 7.

2. FlorianW1

FlorianW1 Bit poster

Hi Marcos, on my MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid 2012 I've just tried your described settings of choosing "developer", 1024MB video, native 1440x900 resolution under OS X Yosemite and "Enable Retina resolution" in the Parallels settings. However, when going to the screen resolution settings in Windows 10 Pro, it doesn't show 2880x1800 as an option, just 1920x1200 or lower. Did I miss something?

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi FlorianW1,
    Parallels Desktop provides enhanced Retina display support for Windows virtual machines.

In the Mac menu go to Actions (the Virtual Machine menu in older versions of Parallels Desktop) -> Configure... -> Hardware -> Video and enable retina resolution and also try http://kb.parallels.com/114700

4. FlorianW1

FlorianW1 Bit poster

Hi PaulChris, thanks for the instructions. However, these seem to be the same as I tried before (enable retina setting). Still, when going to Windows 10 settings, the 2880x1800 options does not show, see attached screenshot.

Schermafbeelding 2015-08-12 om 19.14.00.jpg

5. FlorianW1

FlorianW1 Bit poster

Hi All, installing Parallels 11 and Parallels Tools resolved my issue. I can now select the 2880x1800 resolution. Thanks.