Running windows VM on Macbook Pro - will 32GB ram and i9 8 core make a significant difference?

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by derek68, Jul 14, 2019.

1. derek68

derek68 Bit Poster

Hi,
    I presently am running 2018 MacBook Pro i7(4 core)/16GB Ram with Windows installed in a VM. I presently have the resources allocated as 8GB and 2 cores to the windows system. As this computer is primarily for business use, I spend roughly 80% of my time in Windows and ideally would like to have Windows performing at maximum speed and performance when utilizing it. ( I absolutely can't stand when things are not lightning fast...lol)
    I am looking at the possibility of getting a new 2019 i9(8core) 32GB Ram MacBook Pro and allocating the resources as 16 GB of RAM and 4 cores for the Windows VM solely for the purpose of trying to get better performance.
    Ultimately my question is, will this make a material difference in performance? If so, would it be "that much better" to justify the cost of the upgrade?

Thanks,
    Derek

2. WJackson

WJackson Bit Poster

Am curious to know the answer too. Was thinking the same thing in terms of the new Macbook Pro.

3. VaidyM

VaidyM Bit Poster

I have a 2019 51" MBP with i9 8-core 16GB memory. I was using 2018 Air before, so the performance difference is huge. But, I'm facing a completely different issue where PD14 is incompatible with Windows 10 Build 1903. So, the VM is still ugly slow. If your Windows 10 VM is on build 1803/1809, I'd definitely say the performance would be superior on the new pro machines.