Saving new edited .msi file with Orca

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by Rene3, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Rene3

Rene3 Member

Hey there.

I have tried using Orca to edit the default settings in the client installation, as per the manual instructions. But when I try to save the new .MSI file, i get this error:

"This MSI contains at least one embedded substorage which cannot be copied to the new package. You will need to manually import thise substorages into the new file."

I have the "Copy embedded streams during 'Save-As'" option on.

So what goes wrong ?

2. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi there,

I suggest you do not use the save as option.
    Create a copy of the msi from the windows explorer, edit it and save the changes using orca.

Nixu

3. Rene3

Rene3 Member

Ahh yes, ofcouse.

I just had it in my head that you needed to do the save as, for this to work.

But it seems to save fine, with the save option, just have to test it the new settings works too.

Is this a known limitation, or just my setup ?

I tired to edit several versions of the client, and it seems that i can use the Save As option, with the 4.3.199 version, but not with 5.1.315 and 6.0.419. Also tried with the newest version of Orca, i could find instead of the one linked from the manual.

4. nixu

nixu Guest

HI,

This is issue happens due to certain components, that are in the MSI.

I think Orca is not capable of moving these components when using save as.

Nixu

5. MikeW

MikeW Guest

I hate to jump in on this one, just incase my question takes Rene totally away from her issues.

Anyway, is there a way with Orca that I can force the MSI to install the SSO option or NOT?

Thanks

6. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi,

Such an option is not available.
    There is an SSO property, this basically enables the use of SSO or not if it is installed.

Nixu

7. Rene3

Rene3 Member

Actually this is interesting for me too.

When you do a normal installation you are presented with a choice of installing the SSO service or not, is there anyway to automate this, so the service does NOT get installed.

If you use /passive with the msi installation, it just seems to auto answer yes to that question. Would like it to not be installed at all, since we are not using it.

8. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi there,

In the MSI properties one can find "TuxGina". This property accepts the following values:
    0) Always install SSO, do not ask user.
    1) Never install SSO, do not ask user.
    2) Ask user. In silent mode installation SSO is installed.

Nixu

9. Rene3

Rene3 Member

Perfect !

Just what I was looking for.
    Nice with the fast responses here, thanks alot.

Think this was what MikeW also wanted to do.

10. MikeW

MikeW Guest

Yup! That's exactly what I wanted Nixu

Thanks for actually wording my question better Rene