Saving Outlook mail messages to Finder does not work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rexie, Jun 28, 2021.

1. rexie

rexie Junior Member

I would like to save my mail messages to Finder using 'drag and drop' (sometimes as a 'copy'; sometimes as a 'move'). When I try to do this, the 'dragging' does not recognise Finder ie - the cursor does not change to a green plus button, and the mail message is then saved to the Mac desktop instead.
    I have tried the same process with an attachment in a mail message and it saves to Finder without a problem. For some reason, a mail message does not behave the same way.
    Can I save a mail message to Finder? Is there a special setting?

2. Hi did you try to drag and drop your filr in a specific folder in Finder?

3. rexie

rexie Junior Member

I was using 'drag and drop' direct from Outlook to a folder in Finder. I have read/write access to the folder in Finder so that's not the problem.
    The 'drag and drop' works in Windows ie - you can 'drag and drop' direct from Outlook to Windows Explorer. This saves a step as you do not have to save the email message to a file manager first, and then 'drag and drop' to a preferred folder.
    I am hoping that the same process will work for Outlook to Finder.

4. Thanks a lot for the clarification.
    Did you test the same behavior on your Mac side? Did you drag and drop your Outlook file to Finder from Mac, not from Parallels Desktop?

5. rexie

rexie Junior Member

I'm a little confused how to test these different scenarios. I usually use Parallels in coherence mode but have done the testing shown below. Is this what you wanted?

1. exit coherence mode. Click in Windows 10 desktop. Open Outlook. Open File Explorer. Drag message from Outlook to File Explorer (to folder created on the Mac). This works (both copy and move).
    2. exit coherence mode. Click in Windows 10 desktop. Open Outlook in Windows. Open Finder on the Mac. Drag message from Outlook to Finder (to folder created on the Mac). This works (both copy and move).
    3. in coherence mode. On Mac desktop. Open Outlook. Open File Explorer. Drag message from Outlook to File Explorer (to folder created on the Mac). This works (both copy and move).
    4. in coherence mode. On Mac desktop. Open Outlook. Open File Explorer. Drag message from Outlook to Finder(to folder created on the Mac). This does not work.