SCO Openserver 5

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by aplcom, Jun 19, 2008.

1. aplcom

aplcom Bit poster

Hi,

Has anyone tried to install or migrate SCO Openserver 5 to Parallels Desktop on Mac? I've tried to install 5.0.5 and 5.0.7 but it fails right from the start. Just can't get beyond the boot prompt without an error.

I successfully installed Openserver 5.0.5 on VMWare Fusion and it works fine. I then tried to use the Parallels Transporter and managed to get the boot: prompt but after that got more errors.

Also, is there any way to go to the parallels "bios" settings as in VMWare Fusion as there may be some parameters there that may get it to work.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What type of OS you selected?

3. aplcom

aplcom Bit poster

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried just about every combination of "OS Type" and "OS Version" - the most likely one I had hoped would be "FreeBSD" and "Other FreeBSD". With the SCO 5.0.5 iso when I hit "enter" at the boot prompt I get "FD(44)UnixBad magic number". With SCO 5.0.7 I get past the boot prompt but it aborts halfway thru the boot process and I get the Parallels box to send the output back to Parallels. With SCO 6.0.0 I manage to get to the screen where it tests the iso but it does not go past there as it says the iso is corrupt.

I do know that all the iso's are good as I have absolutely no problem to install under VMWare Fusion. Indeed, I installed SCO 5.0.5 on VMWare Fusion and then did a Parallels import. It then managed to boot but got a kernel abort at the wdinit stage.

Again any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards. Otto.

PS: My Parallels is fully up to date with all the latest updates and it is properly licensed. The VMWare version is the very latest version but is an "eval" version only.

4. aplcom

aplcom Bit poster

Hi,

Just a follow up to the earlier reply. In addition to trying various combos of os and type, I have also tried to change some of the other params like acceleration off and such - but the results are the same. Also I do a full disk allocation (10gb) at create time.

Rgds. Otto

5. John@Parallels

Will try to check situation, hope in week I will be able to give some answer

6. aplcom

aplcom Bit poster

Thanks John, really appreciate it. I would mainly like to get either 5.0.5 or 5.0.7 going. On my side I'll keep trying to use diff methods and if any pans out or if I get further ahead, I'll post the results here ad try to give you more helpful feedback. Thanks and regards. Otto.

7. John@Parallels

8. aplcom

aplcom Bit poster

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip - already done that for both 5.0.5 and 5.0.7 - however, once imported from Vmware Fusion to Parallels still no go - same error and problem with booting. It seems to be a silly solution to install SCO on VWMare fusion and then to import back to Parallels instead of having native support on Parallels. I've tried so many combinations to get it going on Parallels that I'm getting a headache especially since it installs so easlily on VMWare.

Since VMWare works so much better and reliably than Parallels, with all the time wasted, I've decided to scrap Parallels and go with VMWare instead - a lot less headaches. Also, VMWare offers a USD$30 rebate for legit owners of Parallels so it makes a very compelling case.

At any rate, much thanks for all your efforts and help.

Best Regards. Otto.

9. John@Parallels

You can try Parallels Servers for 2 moth free

10. Calvertp

Calvertp Bit poster

Hello,
    There are several ways to connect SCO Unix to Windows XP. Depending on what it is you want to do will determine the best possible solution.

Thansk

11. Calvertp

Calvertp Bit poster

Hello,

Thanks for sharing . your hard ork in his field is really nice .

12. pcunix

pcunix Junior Member

Success with 5.0.7 from Fusion

I tried converting from a Fusion image of 5.0.7. It failed the first time because I missed a window that said something like "No Operating System Detected - Continue?" I noticed it the second try and I clicked "Yes" and converted and it is working - well, no network yet but I don't really need it and probably can fix it (it wasn't working on VMWare either so no surprise there).

The mouse even works in X - something that never did in VMWare.

I only use this for my very few remaining old SCO customers. I sometimes need it to remind myself how things work!

If I can get the network working, I'll let y'all know..