Screen of host os doesn't return to its original resolution

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by jensw, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jensw

jensw Member

Hello,

I found one problem while working with the current 2.1 release:
    When I switch a VM in FullScreenMode (Windows 2003 Server) and then shutdown the
    OS using Start->Shutdown (staying in fullscreenmode for doing that)
    The virtual machine stops but the resolution of the host os isn't turned back to the original
    resolution.
    As example: my host os runs with 1280*800. When stopping a full screen guest os it doesn't
    return to this resolution. So after stopping I have 640*480 on the host os.

Thanks and best regards,
    Jens

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Hello,

Which primary OS do you use? I checked the issue on WinXP Pro SP2 with latest updates and Debian 3.1 and couldn't reproduce this. Possibly the problem is with video drivers on your primary OS. Can you please describe your hardware (if that's notebook, it's exact model should be enough).

3. jensw

jensw Member

Hello,

I use WinXP SP2 on my Samsung R50 (Pentium M 1600, Ati Mobility Radeon X300).
    The guest OS was Windows 2003. The guest resolution was 1200*800, the host normal
    resolution is 1280*800. The problem occured when shutting down the guest while it is in full
    screen mode. After windows shut down and the screen returned to the host, the resolution of the
    host was set to 640*480.

I use the current drivers for all devices of the notebook. Windows Updates are also at the
    newest level.

Best regards
    Jens

4. anshar

anshar Member

Hi,

Does this situation happen each shutdown or accidently?

5. shadow

shadow Bit poster

lol when windows closes it changes the screen resulition so it apears to prosses faster. now i am having problums installing parallels so i can only coment on what i know about windows. but in games that change the resalution it returns to windows befor isuing a restor resulution comand. it is verry possable that windows wount isue this command after it shuts down so i would segest try to get out of full screen befor you shut that down

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

I would suggest you get out of full screen mode first, then shutdown Windohs completely.

Now push the power button to turn the machine on, and immediately insert a Linux CD. Follow the install procedure through, and keep using this distro as your primary OS. You will find this also alleviates many other Windwoes problems.

7. jensw

jensw Member

haha. goto www.heise.de for windows-bashing and toddling.
    Btw. as linux doesn't like my hardware I have to runj it on a VM :)

8. jensw

jensw Member

@anshar:
    As far as I see now it happens every time.

Best regards,
    Jens

9. anshar

anshar Member

I've never expirienced such thing. I think it is somehow depends on your hardware and primary OS drivers - video drivers more likely...