Seamless windows with linux client

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by wdaniels, Sep 27, 2006.

1. wdaniels

wdaniels Guest

Hi!

I'm using 2X Application Server on Windows XP Pro with the linux client on Ubuntu. I setup published applications and specify the application name using -a parameter to the client, but always I just get a full screen desktop.

Does seamless windows not work with the linux client or am I doing something wrong?

2. rafelbev

rafelbev Guest

Can you post the command line you are using to launch your application ?

3. wdaniels

wdaniels Guest

/opt/2X/applicationserverclient/bin/appserverclient -sXPMACHINE -uwdaniels -pxxxxxxx -dMYDOMAIN -aNotepad

4. rafelbev

rafelbev Guest

That is exact and correct. What version of the AS client are you using? Do you have any other terminal server software running on your Windows XP box ?

5. Jsecure

Jsecure Guest

I have the same problem... Is there any solution to this?

6. Jsecure

Jsecure Guest

I'm using Mandriva 2006, and I have a virtual machine XP running the server thing, with Control Panel shared and MS word as WINWORD.

I'm doing exactly the same as the guy above, and when I connect to port 80 I get an RDP login, and the desktop, but what I definitely don't get is the application window on it's own, in my linux environment.

If this works, I'd be convinced to buy cause it's a neat idea. But let's see if it can go from an idea to a delivery.

7. geoffreys1

geoffreys1 Forum Maven

You cannot publish applications on Windows XP, only full desktops. This is what it is causing your problems.

8. islandergeek

islandergeek Guest

Workaround

Are you sure it shouldn't work:

2X ApplicationServer features:

* Publish applications, rather than installing locally
    * Tunnel an application, not a whole desktop <-----

It seems that it would defeat the purpose of the product... (use rdesktop then).

In any case I have a Windows XP server running the Application Server which I'm accessing through a Linux box (Ubuntu 6.2) and I'm able to publish the applications (and only the applications, not the whole desktop). For some reason the first time I run appserverclient the whole desktop is shown. I then logoff from the client and run the command again and then it works.

Now I'm having some weird display issues where if I drag the window too close to the side of the screen it acts very strangely (disappears - moves randomly - only partly drawn - any combination of these). Anyone else seeing this? Any workaround?

Thanks.

9. hosse

hosse Guest

he meant it only works on Windows Server not on XP!!!

I use seamless Apps on Debian and also tested it on Fedora. It works.
    I'm using Win Server 2003.

Have you ever tried with a server version?

Perhaps there is also a difference between Home and Professional?!

10. islandergeek

islandergeek Guest

I see.. I'm using Windows XP Pro and for now I've given up on using 2X as I wasn't able to resolve the problem I mentioned in my post (same behavior after upgrading the host to Ubuntu 7.04).

11. hosse

hosse Guest

perhaps buying MS Server 2000 @ eBay would be a relatively cheap solution?