secure boot configuration menu

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by pae, May 30, 2021.

1. pae

pae Bit poster

Hi,

I can't find a way to access to the UEFI Secure boot menu. I want to view and edit the keys/signatures.
    I already setup the boot flags :
    vm.efi.secureboot = 1
    vm.bios.efi=1

The only time I saw this menu was just after the first reboot after installing a fresh Ubuntu with secure boot support.

TlsTechnology likes this.
  2. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello Pae, Please follow the steps mentioned below.
    To configure Windows to boot securely, do the following:
    1. Select Customize settings before installation during the Windows installation.
    2. In the virtual machine configuration dialog, select the Hardware tab and click Boot Order.
    3. Select EFI Secure Boot in the Advanced Settings section. Thanks.

TlsTechnology likes this.
  3. ReneD6

ReneD6 Bit poster

Hello, I have the problem that I cannot select EFI at all. it is not displayed, only boot flags

4. SeyedB

SeyedB Bit poster

I also have this problem. I want to change the secure boot, but there is no option for that.
    I don't know why Parallels is not responsive on this.

5. AntonioJ3

AntonioJ3 Bit poster

Good morning team,
    Since the upgrade to Parallels Desktop 19, my VM running Ubuntu Server 22.04 complains about the same problem. Sometimes it boots when I select a different kernel than the default "raspi" one, sometimes it does not. However, none of the options allows for enabling the secure boot.
    I have sent a technical report with ID 435961965.
    I really appreciate any help you can provide.
    Antonio J.

6. RobertoB15

RobertoB15 Bit poster

Same problem. It's possible to access on Boot Option using Disk Order at startup option (on Startup Order settings) but the BIOS (emulated) doesn't permit changes in secure boot menu.

Screenshot 2023-09-22 alle 02.18.12.png Screenshot 2023-09-22 alle 02.18.23.png Screenshot 2023-09-22 alle 02.18.36.png Screenshot 2023-09-22 alle 02.19.20.png Screenshot 2023-09-22 alle 02.19.27.png Screenshot 2023-09-22 alle 02.19.35.png Screenshot 2023-09-22 alle 02.19.42.png

7. AntonioJ3

AntonioJ3 Bit poster

For me, deleting all kenels installed with the suffix "raspi" fixed the boot and managed to get it booting normally (I guess those are for the raspberry pi and Canonical hasn't yet found a way to differentiate both ARM devices properly).
    Secure boot continues no working tough but it's not a blocker anymore.

8. RobertoB15

RobertoB15 Bit poster

Thanks Antonio, could you explain better. Wher can I find this "raspi" file? Could you send here the screenshot of the your pc Security Control Panel? Thanks

9. AntonioJ3

AntonioJ3 Bit poster

This is the process I followed:

$> dpkg --list| grep linux-image
    rc linux-image-5.15.0-1034-raspi 5.15.0-1034.37 arm64 Linux kernel image for version 5.15.0 on ARMv8 SMP
    rc linux-image-5.15.0-78-generic 5.15.0-78.85 arm64 Signed kernel image generic
    ii linux-image-5.15.0-83-generic 5.15.0-83.92 arm64 Signed kernel image generic
    ii linux-image-generic 5.15.0.83.80 arm64 Generic Linux kernel image

$> sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-modules-5.15.0-1034-raspi
    (run this command including all "-raspi" kernel versions you have installed)
    $> sudo apt-get --purge autoremove
    $> sudo update-grub
    $> sudo reboot

Hope it helps,

Cheers,
    Antonio J.

10. RobertoB15

RobertoB15 Bit poster

Thank you Antonio, I had not read your previous post, and now I understand why I did not understand you. You use Linux, I use Win11. :_D
    Do you think there is a similar solution for Win11?

11. AntonioJ3

AntonioJ3 Bit poster

Robert,

I also have on the same Mac a Windows 11 ARM VM and haven't had any issues with it. I don't think this approach is useful for a Windows VM because both operating systems have completely different bootloaders and kernel modules, the way they are loaded is also different, etc...
    I'm perhaps going to say a dumb thing but... have you considered completely uninstalling Parallels Desktop 19 and going back to 18 if it worked well for you in the past?

Cheers,
    Antonio J.

12. RobertoB15

RobertoB15 Bit poster

Before trying with version 19 I had already tried with 18. I had also not tried, with 18, to enter the BIOS parameters to try to disable secure boot.

13. Kat Williams

Kat Williams

might you at some point make sense of better. Wher could I at any point see this as "raspi" document? Might you at some point send here the screen capture of the your pc Security Control Board? Thanks