Serial Interface on Parallels Desktop for Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by uclara, Jun 28, 2006.

1. uclara

uclara Bit poster

Hi,

it's possible to use a Serial Interface on Parallels Desktop for Mac?
    I'm thinking about a USB to serial interface that are usable from a Windows Virtual Machine.

Ulli

2. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

3. MadOverlord

MadOverlord Bit poster

Larry, it would be extremely helpful if you explained the EXACT steps needed to use the Radio Shack USB cable. I have that exact cable, and cannot get it to work.

I connected it to the virtual machine, ran the installer, but each time I plug it in or reboot the machine, it's considered new hardware and the new hardware wizard pops up.

Computer Management -> Devices -> Ports shows the USB Serial Controller, but it's got the ! icon.

Diabling/Reenabling the device does not help.

Having a serial port defined in the VM settings makes no difference.

4. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

I dunno....... I know you don't want to hear that. It just "boringly" installed and works. I really didn't have to do any gee-whiz stuff at all. Sure wish I could help.:(

5. MadOverlord

MadOverlord Bit poster

And of course, 10 minutes after posting this, after doing YASR (Yet Another Stupid Reinstall), it starts working as COM3.

It's running hideously slowly driving my PIC programmer -- so much so that limping is a better description -- but it is running.

6. MadOverlord

MadOverlord Bit poster

One added thing.

There's a trick in installing the Radio Shack software. I just installed it on a "real" Windows machine and ran into the same issue.

You put in the CD, and then insert the device. Windows Installer Wizard will come up and when you ask it to look for the driver, it won't find it. Banish the Wizard, then open the CD and run the installer program on it.

It will run but there will still be complaints and it won't work. Now unplug and replug the Radio Shack USB cable. Up comes the Wizard again, but this time, it'll be able to find the driver. Use it to install, and you're in business. COM3 comes alive.

It's horribly slow on the real PC too, but Parallels is a fair bit slower still.

7. fgmartin

fgmartin Bit poster

Any having luck with Prolific PL-2303 Serial-USB devices?

I'm trying a generic PL-2303 USB-serial cable -- noticed a couple things:

* Before I installed the Mac OS X driver, Win2K thought it was happy using it, but serial receive didn't work, so no dice.

* Then I tried the Mac OS X driver from SourceForge (linked from Apple's own pages). This worked great for OS X, but now Parallels can't get hold of it for Windows, so can't even try to get it going from Windows anymore.

Fred

8. petro

petro Member

If you have a USB serial adapter (I have a Keyspan), you can try this:
    http://eudyptes.com/SerialClient.php

Thanks to Eudyptes for a great tool to make Parallels talk to serial devices!

Now if someone could tell me a trick to get it to work with my Apple USB modem so I could use it to dial from a Door Security app in Windows I'd be set!