Server Drives Available

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by mabbeck, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mabbeck

mabbeck Guest

I am in the process of testing 2X and when I assign an application such as Notepad, if I go to file and save, I can see the server drives. Is there anyway to make 2X not show these drives?

2. McShinsky

McShinsky Guest

Local Policy or Group Policy is your friend. You have the possibility to either hide or deny access to particular drives (User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Explorer = Prevent access to drives from My Computer & Hide these drives in My Computer) . You may also want to strip out the common save and open sidebar too(User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Windows Explorer - Common Open File Dialog). Do a search on "Common Open File Dialog" and "Places Bar" on the internet to find out more about this in policy. Also there is a separate adjustment for any Microsoft Office save and open "Places Bars" that requires you load the Office .ADM file.

Rob

3. voip

voip Guest

Additional config ? for McShinsky

Hi,

I have done this but selected hide A,B,C,D drives in the policy. The issue I run into is if you try to save to "My Documents" you are blocked because "C" is hidden from access.

To hide properly are you forced to use full folder redirection pushing the storage off C to a NAS so people can save in their "My documents".

Thanks for any help offered.

4. McShinsky

McShinsky Guest

That is true what you are saying. You could do a couple of things. Create an offline file store for your users individually and set their home drives to that location, or if you really want to store documents on the terminal server, you could create a logon script that maps a share for each user that lives on the terminal server under a different drive letter. Something like net use H: \\TSServerName\%username%$. This obviously doesn't work too good if you have many terminal servers in the farm. You could also enable drive mounting from the users client machine and "train" them to loop back their local client. If your environment is like mine, this seemingly simple suggestion, may be the hardest of all to do.

Good luck