Server for MAC, Routing and NAT port forwarding

karlbaase

Bit poster
Hi all,

my Setup - XServer 2,8Ghz, 16GB RAM OS X Server 10.5.5, Paralles Server for MAC (3.0.2173.135959)

So first I'd like to explain what I want to do:
- The XServe is connected with both nic's. On to the Internet and the other to a local net. NAT works properly on the machine.
- I have several VM's i'd like to run each with a bridged network interface to the local net.
- Services running on the VM's should be exposed by a natd portforwarding rule to the external interface of the xserve.
- I tried this setting with VM's but it won't work. When I use a physical host on the network as forward destination it works fine.

My question is, could i be that natd can not reach the VM's Ips? Is there something i can do? Or could this be addressed in a future version?

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
Are the VMs in the same XServe where NAT is located? It may affect problem.. NAT receives incoming packet and forwards it directly to the network. So VMs located on the machine with NAT don't see the packet.

What is the NAT you are running? I mean are you running some Mac OS X NAT or it is a third party program? Please send the info about this NAT. We will investigate the problem.
 
for now i've succeded with host only adapter

I had not much time to investigate the issue with exact as in your environment configuration.. For now I've tested with the next configuration:

I bound the VM to the HostOnly network adapter and configured NAT as in the attached plist.. I've succeeded to SSH to the sshd running on my VM that was bridged to the Parallels Host-Only network adapter. This could be a temporary workaround.. I will definitely try your configuration.

I've attached my test natd.plist to the post.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
I'd want to make some additional notes:

I've configured in the Parallels Server Preferences the Host Only Adapter card to have no DHCP and assign to it in the Mac OS X networking preferences manual Address 192.168.2.1,
the VM receives the IP from the Mac OS X DHCP Server and its IP is 192.168.2.2,

also, I have allowed all traffic in the Mac OS X firewall.
 
Back
Top