Setup and migration from PC with multiple drives

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Parallels User, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Hello, new user here so please be gentle.
    I'm playing with the trial version to ensure everything will work before committing to purchasing a license with the aim of ditching the Windows PC. Before posting this I searched the first 30 pages of the forums but didn't find anything resembling my issue.

So far I have successfully installed Parallels Desktop, set up a Windows 10 VM by transferring Windows from the PC, but the transfer agent only transfers the content of the C: drive irrespective of whether I chose System only or System & Data. I cannot see anywhere to tell the transfer agent to transfer everything from all drives.

The Windows PC has three physical drives, with a total of 6 basic partitions (none are dynamic):
    C: is the system drive
    D: E: F: G: & H: are all data partitions

For testing purposes at least I want all of my data (D: drive especially) transferred to the Windows VM. Ultimately I may decide to transfer it to MacOS instead, but that's another task.

I'm using:
    • Parallels Desktop v12 (12.2.0 (41591))
    • MacOS Sierra 10.12.14 on MacBook Air (early 2015)
    • Windows 10 Home
    Please let me know if I need to provide any more information. Any help, advice or guidance will be gratefully received.

2. Anyone? I have wasted over a week trying to set this up and only have 6 days of my trial remaining, so really need to get this resolved so I can properly evaluate Parallels Desktop.

Thanks

3. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Parallels Desktop doesn't transfer non-system Windows disks. But you may do it yourself: for example, add new virtual hard drive the virtual machine, make partition (or several partitions) on this disk, share necessary data from Windows physical machine via network and copy this data to the guest.

4. User22

User22 Bit poster

When copying Windows from my current PC to an external hard drive, will it wipe Windows off my current PC or just make a copy of it?

Sorry to hijack the post.