Setup could not read the CD

johnem

Bit poster
Like an earlier correspondent in the forums (in the 2006 archives - question was not resolved), I have installed Parallels and am trying to install Windows. On reaching the Windows XP Professional Setup screen, I get a message from windows setup saying "Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD". I am using a factory MS CD that appears to be in mint condition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Mac is running Mac OSX Version 10.5 and has a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 1 GB RAM. In the Parallels setup, I allocated 512 MB RAM to run the Windows environment.
 
Try to create ISO image
1. Insert CD/DVD source

2. Fire up a Terminal, you can then determine the device that is you CD/DVD drive using the following command:

$ drutil status
Vendor Product Rev
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835E GAND

Type: DVD-ROM Name: /dev/disk1
Cur Write: 8x DVD Sessions: 1
Max Write: 8x DVD Tracks: 1
Overwritable: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Free: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
Space Used: 364:08:27 blocks: 1638627 / 3.36GB / 3.13GiB
Writability:
Book Type: DVD-ROM

3. Umount the disk with the following command:

$ diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1
Disk /dev/disk1 unmounted

4. Create the ISO file with the dd utility (may take some time):

$ dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso bs=2048

5. Test the ISO image by mounting the new file (or open with Finder):

$ hdid file.iso
 
Setup could not read the CD - created an image and not working

I have the same issue as above. I followed the provided fix for it but now I can't boot off of the iso image either. The disc I have is an original MS Win XP Pro disc. Your help would be appreciated as I'm stuck with unusable copy of Parallels and no Win. Thanks
 
Back
Top